Opinions on the LDA | Page 2 | 1911 Forums at 1911Talk.com

Opinions on the LDA

Discussion in 'Para-Ordnance' started by Frenchy, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665
    Staff Member Forum Supporter

I wouldn't exactly call the trigger argument dumb...

With the exception of Todd Jarrett (and a FEW others)... most people can generally shoot fast more accurately with a single action.

The LDA works...but it ain't for everybody.

2. Jerry Johnson

Jerry Johnson New Member

Para PDA

New on site
    Just recently got my PDA and have only funtion fired it. Everything worked extremely well. I am an old Kimber Eclipse shooter and as great as it is, this gun is it's equal.

Exgunn

3. cjsolar

cjsolar New Member

I have had a 7.45 LDA since 2002. At first it took a little to get used to the trigger, but have had only 1 problem with it. The slide release would not lock back after the 1st mag. I called Para and they sent me a new slide release and no more problems.
    This is my carry gun at work.

4. Reconvic

Reconvic New Member

I cannot get use to Double action triggers. Hard to teach this old dog new tricks. I tried and and admitt I shoot way worst shooting a LDA the any single action.
    Keep in mind I am use to light triggers.

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan New Member

16-40 lda

I just picked up my 16-40 LDA 5" recently. It was the first LDA I had been able to actually hold and dry fire.

I was sold in 30 seconds! Bought it immediately, and traded a CZ40P and $150 for the gun. I got the good end of that deal!

I am a Glock Shooter. I had absolutely no problem adapting to the trigger on this gun in less than 20 rnds fired. It has a longer reset than the glock but it really is just like a really good glock trigger (if there is such a thing). Very easy to adapt to.

It is MUCH more accurate than my G35!

The gun was used when I got it but it has had less than 200 rnds thru it and is not even broken in. It will get much better. I had the opportunity to handle a 7-45LDA at the range yesterday that had had 1500 rnds thru it and it was much smoother. I expect mine to be that way after one trip to FS.

The gun has a Hogue grip on it which is like holding a spray paint can, and fixed sights. I will replace the grips with stock double stack grips, change the sights, and add an extended slide stop, mag release, and safety.

I can't hold the grip safety, and lock the slide. I just can't reach it. I don't like that the grip safety influences the slide at all, but that's just a quirk to get around. The extended slide stop will help with this, that and alot of practice. The safety is a non issue. I'll probably run it just so if I pick up a 1911 I won't have to think about it.

This gun is 50% more accurate than my G35 and I have only fired it 50 times! And this is exactly why I bought it in the first place. The Glock just doesn't have the barrel lock up that a 1911 type gun has, and as a result shots do fly off into the netherworld. Don't get me wrong, I still will use the Glock, it's just not a target gun. It is however, MUCH easier to operate in a pinch as the controls are placed more ergonomically.

This 16/40 LDA is the closest thing I could find to the Glock platform, but with better accuracy. A glock only has 3 things you can do to it. You can rack the slide, put a mag in or out, and you can pull the trigger. That's it. The LDA is the same, or you can add the safety, as you wish. This similarity plus the better accuracy sold me in 30 seconds.

6. Rick McC.

Rick McC. New Member

I used to have a Para LDA CCW, and never had any problems with it at all. The trigger felt very light to me.

Since it was the least used of my 1911's; it got traded in on a NIB S&W Gunsite Edition with a S/N below 100. The G.E. is a commander size scandium framed pistol with some petty good features.

The Para got carried the least because it weighed more than three of my four Kimbers. I'm partial to the alloy frames for CCW.

Take care,

Rick

7. Jerry Johnson

Jerry Johnson New Member

Opinions on the LDA

I have a PDA and I think it is the best carry gun out there. There can't be a better double action.

8. mountainclmbr

mountainclmbr New Member

8500 ft elevation on the side of a mountain NW of
    I have had a LDA for over 10 years and have no problem transitioning to full DA or SA. It is super accurate and reliable.

9. TimHecht

TimHecht Member

I have a C6.45 LDA; I like the ease of the trigger pull but the name is a complete misnomer. There is nothing about the LDA trigger system that is double action. The pistol must be cocked by either hand clycling the slide or from recoil of a fired round. That is purely and simply a single action trigger - pulling it releases a cocked hammer; nothing else. A nice system but not a double action.

10. girphoto

girphoto New Member

I am a 1911 shooter, and when I started reading about the PARA Carry 9 LDA i became very interested. This little gun, took almost 600 rd's of shooting 124 gr. and a half bottle of Break-Free to break in. I had a set of grips made for it by RAASCO grips (ALLAN did a fine job on the 1/2 checker tactical grips) and the butt rounded to help keep the point from hitting me in the ribs (In South Florida, who wears undershirts?). Having a high grip on my 1911's did not do me any good on the LDA. The trigger is easy to get use to and very quick to respond, but I find that after shooting it for a while (about 100 rd's) that the gun BITES ME!. I have started to wear a finger-less glove at the range and that helps and I know that if I had to use it, the last thing that I would be worrying about would be a bite on the hand. I spend a lot of time and range time working with Checkmate Mag's to develop a flush fitting mag for the Carry 9 ( all to help stop printing through light weight shirts).
    I am finding though, after about 750 rds now that the gun (slide to frame) is not as tight as it was or in my opinion should be.
    My last thought is that the Finish that PARA uses just S***S!

11. wichaka

wichaka New Member

The clockwork in those things has something to be desired. Have seen too many of them that were hard used, meaning thousands of round, implode.

A good marketing ploy, but that's about it.

12. mountainclmbr

mountainclmbr New Member

8500 ft elevation on the side of a mountain NW of
    Like mentioned here previously, for target shooting I like SA. For carry I think the LDA adds an extra margin of safety I carry a LDA 12-45.

13. popplecop

popplecop Member

I too am a long time 1911 shooter since back in the 50s. All mine had bee done with .45acp, but was looking for a smaller 1911 platform for easier carrying. Anyway I wound up with a Para PDA in 9mm of course. Took me about 50 rounds to get use to the DA trigger and I like it. Doesn't seem to bother me to go back and forth with my other 1911 SAs. Main thing is that the grip and safety contols are the same on all, which is what I wanted. Interesting observation, my sin has a Carry 9 as his BUG, the magazines will not interchange between the Carry 9 and the PDA.

14. usafo8

usafo8 New Member

I'm a 65 year old curmudgeon that's carried a 1911 since I was 16. I hated D/A triggers on autos but loved the S&W Centennial in .357 mag. Right out of the box, one magazine through my PDA and I was amazed and sold. The only reason I bought this gun over the Kimber compact was my intention to carry it in my pocket. I have always carried Condition One but wasn't about to do that in a pocket. I am so glad Ibought the PDA instead of the Kimber. The Kimber is a fine gun, but the PDA with the LDA trugger is the answer I've been looking for for many years.

I just didn't find an issue with the transition. Maybe that has to do with my familiarity with the D/A only S&W revolver.

One addition. I still love my Wilson CQB and the trigger is great. I wouldn't change it. But it has an entirely different mission. Maybe that's the real answer to all this gum flapping?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  15. usafo8

usafo8 New Member

I've always wanted a true pocket 1911 in .45 ACP. However if I'm going to carry a 1911 it's got to be Condition 1, cocked and locked, and that just doesn't seem safe or wise in a pants pocket. When I saw the PDA it seemed like the answer to my search and it turned out it was. I love my Wilson CQB and the trigger is just about perfect, so I had some reservations about transitioning to the LDA, but it sounded safe in a pocket so I bought one. I went right to the range, no cleaning or lube, and ran about 200 rounds of assorted ammo through it. I shoot double action revolvers too so the transition was a pleasure. The PDA put everything right into the 10 ring from the start, with mostly X's. I functioned flawlessly and I'm sold. I think it's a far better system than the Glock or XD and it's going to be very close to me for a long time to come. Thank you Para. One old dinosaur instructor appreciates your engineering efforts.

16. popplecop

popplecop Member

Old thread, but found it interesting. I have a half dozen 1911s, I find them to be the semi auto for me. Wanted one for CC and I ended up with a PDA took me a hundred or so rounds to get use to the DA trigger, found it to my likeing for CC. Have not had any problem putting it down and pickong up a 1911 and continue shooting. Got my first 1911A1 when the Army issued me one back in the 50s, fell in love with them then and still haveing an affair with them all these years later.

17. R. Deschain

R. Deschain New Member

I have had the Para Blackwatch (PXT LDA) for a few years and it is my constant concealed carry - a solid performer. I switch between the SA and DA triggers fine, but I know a couple of fellers that have an issue doing so. The one issue I have is that this is not a mud/gore/grit performer and is not my range gun. I shoot a SA Metro Amiego when punching paper. Same general feel and exact size.

18. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I loved my LDA. Right up until the moment the slide stop shot out of the frame, and Para told me they couldn't fix it, and wouldn't have any replacements for several months. Their customer service was great, but it was disappointing.

That CCO was incredibly accurate for a small gun, and I loved the trigger; but then, I'm not a SA guy. I prefer either DA/SA, or my striker fired guns. I sort of "grew up" on Glocks, so...

19. cjsolar2

cjsolar2 New Member

I am gettting my LDA back. It will cost me a 9MM and some other items. Back when I first had the gun, the slide stop woild not lock back. I had it replaced through Para, affter which it worked the way it should (without any further problems).

It will be good to see the "boy" again.