1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't really looking to buy an AR but I found a decent deal on one at another forum. After selling my RRA carbine and all my ammo a while back (D'oh!...shoulda kept the ammo),I decided I maybe should jump on this one. Not because I'm really so infatuated with the AR platform,but because of Senator Barack Obama.

So now I have a completely un-tactical DPMS 20" A2. It's this rifle right here.Nothing fancy obviously,it's your basic 20" AR. But I can always build it into what I want.

On another note,I went to the LGS to buy some ammo and they had Speer Lawman in 5.56. I had no idea Speer made that ammo,I never heard of it. Supposedly it's up to M193 specs. I got their last 160 rounds to try out.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
The "right here" pics are OK but we like the real deal. Multiple shots from many angles too.:flag::biggrin::wavey:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Later today then. I'm off to church.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here we go! Pics aren't the best,my wife had some goofy settings on it that I'm not clever enough to change. Everything looks all dark and gritty...huh.

For your viewing pleasure,your basic 20" AR15 -

And with some other fine American firepower -

·
Registered
747 Posts
Zero,

Looks good to me. How come you sold your RRA carbine? Do you like the DPMS or the RRA better? I'm just curious because I have an RRA entry tactical. I have had it for a few years, and I'm very happy with it, but have not shot it much. I haven't been shooting my long guns much over the last couple of years. The gun club that I belong to is a handgun only indoor range.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Donkey,the RRA was a fine carbine. But at the time I did not belong to an outdoor range, and I had nowhere to shoot long guns. I simply opted to keep the AK and I sold the RRA to get more 1911 goodness.

The ammo,thankfully,I sold for what I paid...about $200 per thousand for LC surplus and Winchester Q3131A. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Looks good, congrats.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very nice, congrats!
I had an AR15 A2 back when they first came out, but some time after buying it, I was deployed ('93) and the wife needed some cash so she sold it for $300 without even telling me about it. :hairpull::hairpull: I've almost forgiven her for that one. But not quite. :nonono::biggrin:
Enjoy it!
Sarge

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sarge,

Let me give you my # and address so your wife can get ahold of me the next time she wants to sell one of your guns for $300:biggrin: Maybe she will throw in a few pairs of your beautiful grips.

Zero,

I understand about the indoor range. I am in the same situation. It is an hour+ drive to shoot long guns for me and I too have thought about selling either my m4 or my AK for more handguns, but I can't bring myself to do it. I did sell my only shotgun recently to go towards my Fusion, but I don't really regret it, and I will have another sometime in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ZeroTA; I've been around AR15/M16's most my military career and privately owned several. Through the years I have had Colts, Olympic Arms, DPMS, Armalites, and Rock River Arms mainly. They are what they are, but after much research, customer service problems, and quality over money spent, the last two in my arenal are both Rock River Arms. a full lenth Coyote Rifle, and a Coyote Carbine, which are both set up for long range varment shooting. They are both high end scoped, and in my opinion are the best built AR's on the market. Rock River Arms base models include every one's upgrades. The only extra goodies on my two AR's are Badger Tactical Latches for the charging handles. I am condfident that I would only use an M4 Carbine for room clearence 25 yards or less and feel they would do the job. But that is the extent of it. If you want a battle rifle and turban stopper, you'd best be carrying a M14, SCARS 308, FAL, M1A, or other comprable 308 /7.62 X 51 battle rifles to suppress our enemy's choice, the AK 47. If I was given a choice, and had to be a small arms caliber, it would definitly be a Krinkov or AK 74. The 5.45 X 39 towers over our 556 in ballistics, and knock down power. Not to mention that the AK 74 or Krinkov can shoot our 556 ammo in a pinch if it has to, which ours can't shoot thier ammo. So its all relative. All I am saying is that, if you want the best AR, buy a Rock River Arms, and if you go to war, and your given an AR/M16/M4, for battle, beg, bower or steal a 308 battle rifle, so you are on a level playing field with you enemy. I do have a special soft spot for the AR/M16 family, but realalisticly know the 308/7.62 X 51 is a better all around battle rifle. Happy Holidays,capttom. PS If my wife sold my AR because of a financial crissis while I was away, I would understand her best intentions, and then take evry tool in our household that she needs for her, IE dish washer, vacum cleaner, blow dryer, ect. and sweep them into a neat little pile after I took a 5 LBS sledge hammer to them, so I could see the expression on her face. Now that would be priceless.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Not to mention that the AK 74 or Krinkov can shoot our 556 ammo in a pinch if it has to, which ours can't shoot thier ammo.
How does that work? Our cartridge is longer than the AK74s chamber, 5.56x45mm vs 5.45X39mm. Neither cartridge is interchangeable with the other.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Not to mention that the AK 74 or Krinkov can shoot our 556 ammo in a pinch if it has to, which ours can't shoot thier ammo.
Not possible.
The round is slightly bigger than the bore on the AK74, it might shoot a time or two, until it messed up the rifling and bore. The problem is that the casing on the AR is longer than the AK, so the bolt wouldn't close the breech, and you are not guaranteed that the casing would line up for the firing pin, since the casing is smaller in diameter than the 5.45x39.

As for terminal ballistics, the 556 is still a stronger round.
The terminal ballistics list the 556 having 1170 ft/lbs of energy delivery while the 545 russian round only delivers 969 ft/lbs of energy delivery.
The 762x39 delivers 1500 ft/lbs of energy delivery, so that round is more formidable than the 556.
However, it is well known that the 762x39 in an AK is not that accurate. It was designed to put a lot of rounds downrange and does this well. The AR in the proper configuration will shoot accurately much further than either of the AK variants.

As for Rock River Arms. I own one, and personally see nothing better about it than the Bushmaster I own, and the Colts I've seen.
I will say after waiting for almost two years, I can't see much about RRA's customer service worth waiting for.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Not possible.
The round is slightly bigger than the bore on the AK74, it might shoot a time or two, until it messed up the rifling and bore.
Look at the charts again, Brian, they won't even chamber.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Well, you and I know that, :wink: but for stuff and giggles, I gave it the benefit of the doubt, just managed to refute that it would work by all the other reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
That you did, Sir. :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.