1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have been carrying for a long time you have probably got busted at one time or another. I have twice in my 10yrs of carry.
Share your stories.

Had a DR. appointment in Aug of 006. Had cancer & was about to have surgery. I was headed in the building for my last appointment before the surgery. The Dr also started in at the same time. We greated & I held the 1st door for him. He got the 2nd door, nodded & as I stepped through he popped me on the left kidney area as we visited & he hit my extra mags.
D. What was that? Was that a gun? :eek:
Me. No doc it was not.
D. Well what was it? I think you have a gun.
M. Doc you sure ask a lot of questions about a guys underwear. I am by now wondering where this is going. We are both continuing to walk toward the office.
D. If that was not a gun what was it?
Time to fess up I am guessing by now.
M. My extra magazines.
D. You do have a gun. Short pause My wife has a pistol liscense.
M. Good I will be one to encourage her. :flag:
We split up. I register & he enters the Dr. door.
Later in the office for report on last visit.
D. Did you have one last time you were here?
M. Doc you have never seen me unarmed yet. Does that make you nervous now that you know it? I am no different when you know I am armed than when you did not know.
D. Well no I guess not.
Two week before he took a biopsy of my prostate.
D. Did you have one the day I did your biopsy.
I can barely keep from showing a grin but I managed it.
M. Yes sir. It was not this one but I did have one in my back pocket.
D. I never did a biopsy on anyone with a gun on them.
M. Doc, You mean that you knew had a gun on them. I am sure you have more patients than you think that have CHL. Some of us carry all the time. If you had not patted my mags on the way in you would not know you had done my biopsy while I was armed. I never did tell him the wife was setting in the waiting room w/ another one.
D. Uhhh, right. OK your questions.
All back to normal for the rest of the visit. He did tell me that I am a high mantainance patient. Too many questions.

My Dr. Appointment in Dec. & I am starting to gain some strength again.
We were through & I had the door open to leave. He says, OH yea, I almost forgot, you got a gun on today.
Me. Yes sir.
Dr. Where is it?
Me. Have you seen it?
Dr. No. where is it?
M. Under my shirt right side.
Dr. Can I see it?
M. You want to just see where it is or do you want to look at it?
Dr. I want to see it and holds out his hands.
I close the door, clear it, show him the empty chamber & he reaches for it.
What kind is it?
Kimber Pro. .45.
How does it work?
Show him how it cycles.
How do you cock it?
You dont. When it is loaded it is cocked & locked. Showed him how the bevertail & thumb safety work.
How hard is it to pull the trigger?
4.5 lb. Go ahead.
Theres not any bullets in it???
No sir All on the seat here. Show clear again.
He pulls the trigger.
Hands it back.
Shortly thereafter he goes to the rang w/ me & learns to shoot.
He is now a member & we shoot together occasionally.
Good DR & friend too.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has learned well. I am prowd of him & we have become friends above patient/DR.

·
1911auto Supporters
149 Posts
Good one. I have been caught once, getting out of my truck my nieghbor saw my holster and asked about my cell phone case. I almost started laughing but I showed him my "cell phone case" inside my house. I had to pick his jaw off the floor. He now has his CCW. :flag:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I never try real hard to keep it hid...I wear an IWB holster (VM II) just to keep from scaring the little old ladies and sheeple....theres no telling how many people have "busted" me over the years...but I haven't heard about it.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Only time I've really been busted was years ago, and I leaned into my truck to get something, and my shirt rode up. Buddy of mine was standing beside me, and saw the flash of it. We were both at the Fire Department (volunteer) and he is a paid LEO, so of course he wanted to see what I had. At the time it was a little ole Taurus 380 SS. I hate I got rid of that gun. Man was it sweet to shoot.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have had my CCL and carried daily for the last 5 years. I have never been confronted in public about carrying, but I definitely would not be surprised if some people were wise to the fact. All of my friends know that I always have a gun and many acquaintances who always considered themselves kind of "anti gun" have been intrigued when they find out. Many of them want to look at it, and then they start saying things like "I never liked guns, but this is kind of cool." It has become a conversation topic on many occasions. Well guys, keep carrying safely, and I hope that none of us ever have to use our little companions :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had my CCL and carried daily for the last 5 years. I have never been confronted in public about carrying, but I definitely would not be surprised if some people were wise to the fact. All of my friends know that I always have a gun and many acquaintances who always considered themselves kind of "anti gun" have been intrigued when they find out. Many of them want to look at it, and then they start saying things like "I never liked guns, but this is kind of cool." It has become a conversation topic on many occasions. Well guys, keep carrying safely, and I hope that none of us ever have to use our little companions :wink:
By virtue of position as Range Safety Officer & the fact that I train folks in gun safety, marksmanship, & Practical Personal Defense, most folks that know me & what I do either know I carry 24-7 or have to figure I do just by virtue of what I do.

Past that I sure do not advertise the fact that I carry. I also recomend the same to those that I train. There have been many who have had this to come back & bite them when someone that knew announced the fact publicly that "Hey, dont worry Joe has a gun."

I am very vocal about our 2A so will never tell anyone which side of the tell or never tell line to get on. Just think before you do tell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have one of those friends who thinks it is ok to touch another.

I was walking out to the grill (we were in the living room and for some reason he decides to smack me on the hip as I am walking by, I guess he thought it would startle me, you should have seen him rolling on the floor as he had struck me fairly hard with the back of his hand, and much to his painful dismay, he had hit the holstered slide of my XD 45 tactical.

Needless to say, he keeps his hands to himself now days.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is funny too. Never had any one slap mine but a young friend had his 5 yr old son stumble running to him & hit his head on daddy's gun butt.

They were in line at a fast food joint & the kid started crying & said OH daddy I hit my head on your gun. There was a lot of laughing since it was in Texas. Could have been not so funny somewhere else.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Only one to ever bust me so far has been my 10 year old daughter giving me a hug. Everyone in the family knows I carry, so while it took her a second, she figured it all out on her own and went back to hugging.
My wife likes to try to figure out where I'm carrying on certain days. I shocked her when she was convinced I wasn't carrying at the pool the other day and said something to the effect of not having to guess today. I simply tapped the Taurus 85 sitting in my buddy's adaptation of thunderwear that he made for me, which was obviouisly in a sensitive "frontal area". She got all embarrassed thinking that someone else had seen me "do that". :biggrin: She told me later that she can't believe I carry at the pool. She doesn't carry or shoot (long story) but is glad that I do and understands.
Sarge

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You bet Sarge. BGs look for places that folks will be victim & have no defense or escape.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to be of help sir.
If you cant guess beter than I can then, well, .....we better carry.:flag:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not long after getting my permit I was over at a female friends place. As I was getting up to leave my shirt snuck up and exposed the butt of my XD.

She asked, "Are you afraid of me?'

I wish I would have responded, "Well, I'm afraid one of these days you will steal my heart...I just need the protection."

Well, she did steal my heart, but can't get her to take a chance on me.

When I was over earlier this month she asked if I had a pistol on.
I just responded when don't I.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not long after getting my permit I was over at a female friends place. As I was getting up to leave my shirt snuck up and exposed the butt of my XD.

She asked, "Are you afraid of me?'

I wish I would have responded, "Well, I'm afraid one of these days you will steal my heart...I just need the protection."

Well, she did steal my heart, but can't get her to take a chance on me.

When I was over earlier this month she asked if I had a pistol on.
I just responded when don't I.
Just curious, is your carrying an issue with her, or is she fine with it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
She really hasn't made an issue of it. After I saved her life this weekend I doubt she will ever say anything again (firearm wasn't needed).

I have taken her shooting once before and probably will again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.