1911 Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
how does the front sight come off ?
as Cj said, it's a post.
called a tenon and it's "staked" in.
Meaning the tenon goes thru the slide and in smashed/mushroomed on the bottom with a staking tool.
when you field strip and pull the barrel, look inside below the sight is and you'll see.
a dremel with sm ball grinder can be used to remove enough of the mushroomed/peened part to pull the front sight.

I'm not familiar with the which sight cuts are on the CS.
My FS GI uses a "standard cut" rear dovetail.
I believe that is .330" X 65 degree.
Front sight is narrow tenon as i understand

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Cap, you know anything about triggers ? I'd like to change it to a skeleton trigger, I just ran across some that mentioned long, extra long, short . what is the stock trigger length ?

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Thank you Cap, you know anything about triggers ? I'd like to change it to a skeleton trigger, I just ran across some that mentioned long, extra long, short . what is the stock trigger length ?
I don't know what trigger they use in the CS.
I "think" my GI came with long.

long, medium and short triggers will all work/fit
The size refers to the length of the part your finger touches, not the internal part that actuates the fire controls

someone with very short fingers may prefer a short trigger.
someone with long fingers might want long (I call it medium) or x-long

it's just a matter of preference of what feels best to you, or rather which you shoot best with

if you want to stay with the stock length, Automag will likely know.
He owns like 5 or 6 of each and every model that RIA and Amscor has ever made... :biggrin:

He'll probably see this post before too long and have the "fo-sho" right answer for you

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think the RIA Compact comes with a standard GI short trigger. Let me check further for you though.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I just got the word from Ivan that the Compact uses the GI short trigger!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You are more than welcome Starvy, I hope that the info will help!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you desire the skeleton for looks or just lighter weight. I took the trigger in my CS and drilled three 7/32" holes in it then chamfered them with a 1/4" drill bit. The end result was reducing it from 220grs. (0.5 oz.) to 166 grs. (0.38 oz.) and the result doesn't look half bad. Okay, it means I was too cheap to order a $20 Nowlin trigger from Brownells but thrift is good. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought of doing that, and may still try it. although I went and ordered an Ed Brown trigger because I had a promotional code $10 off an order at Midway.

Can you post a picture of yours ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Being new to the 1911, on the fixed sights what can I expect them to be lined up at ? feet or yrds. I have the 3.5" GI Still have not had a chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Being new to the 1911, on the fixed sights what can I expect them to be lined up at ? feet or yrds. I have the 3.5" GI Still have not had a chance to shoot it.
Mine is dead on at 7 - 10 yds. I've not tried it at any greater ranges but since it's a self-defense gun with self-defense sights I'm happy. I did take a needle file and open the rear sight notch by .010" to make it easier to see the front sight. I used 44/40 cold bluing to darken the file cuts after I was finished.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine is dead on at 7 - 10 yds. I've not tried it at any greater ranges but since it's a self-defense gun with self-defense sights I'm happy. I did take a needle file and open the rear sight notch by .010" to make it easier to see the front sight. I used 44/40 cold bluing to darken the file cuts after I was finished.
Thank you for the responce, that would good enough for a self defence weapon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts