1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating sending my Kimber Ultra Raptor II to Wilson for their reliability package and maybe having the Armor Tuff coating applied. Anyone have this done on their non-Wilson 1911's before? If so, what are your opinions.

What is a ballpark cost for these jobs?

I have already told my better half that my christmas list includes a full-sized 1911 from Wilson Combat :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know the metal on the Kimber, but I was told by Wilson that Armor Tuff would not do well on a stainless steel gun.
A Wilson Combat is the best 1911 made (IMHO). The Colt's and Kimber's and such aren't in the same league as a Wilson, but then again you can have 2-3 of them for the cost of 1 Wilson. Quality does't come cheap.
I have sent a Springfield into Wilson to be reworked and brought up to standard. Three months and counting. Wilson does very good,,,,,,,,,,, and very slow work.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
The Colt's and Kimber's and such aren't in the same league as a Wilson, but then again you can have 2-3 of them for the cost of 1 Wilson. Quality does't come cheap.
I have sent a Springfield into Wilson to be reworked and brought up to standard.
I guess that depends on what you consider to be standard for a 1911. For the actual design of the gun, a Wilson doesn't meet the standard. The Colt does, as do Springfields short of the ILS.

I agree that Wilsons are fine firearms, but calling them the best is a personal preference and opinion. I personally don't like Kimbers, I think they are overpriced for what they have in them, but I don't call them sub - standard or of poor quality because they don't meet my standard.

Quality does't come cheap
Cost doesn't necessarily equate to quality either.

·
Registered
121 Posts
"Up to standard" means it goes bang every time. "Up to standard" means it feeds bullets into the chamber with near flawless relability. "Up to standard" means it shoots were aimed. My Wilson Combat does that.
My Springfield 9mm 1911 didn't,,, so I sent it to Wilson to be brought up to standard.
My Springfield TRP wasn't up to standard,,,, so I got rid of it.
My Colt Combat Elite is a lot like my x wife,,,,, wildly unpredicatable.
My 1911 PC is good to very good, but no Wilson.
So I say a Wilson is the best, but that's just me talking. Just like everyone else posting here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree Wilson is The Best, I have had Brown and Nighthawk. Brown i would never buy again, NightHawk comes close, but in MHO it shoots well but is not a looker like the WC. I also have a Colt Govt that is near 40 years old, I rebuilt it with WC internals and it shoots pretty damn good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Armor Tuff question

I am contemplating sending my Kimber Ultra Raptor II to Wilson for their reliability package and maybe having the Armor Tuff coating applied. Anyone have this done on their non-Wilson 1911's before? If so, what are your opinions.

What is a ballpark cost for these jobs?

I have already told my better half that my christmas list includes a full-sized 1911 from Wilson Combat :)

Thanks!

I know this is really late and probably a waste of your time but I did this exact thing with Wilson Combat but at that time they said they no longer performed reliability package procedure on compact/officer's 1911's of any make. But they did put the Armor Tuff coating on my Kimber Ultra Raptor II and did a fine job of it. Unbeknownst to me the Kimber's mainspring housing is plastic so in order that Wilson's Armor Tuff coating would take hold, they replaced the plastic mainspring housing with a checkered metal one.
The Kimber is already dehorned by Kimber but other than that, it came back looking nice, slide, hammer mainspring housing, trigger were all in Black Armor Tuff, the frame in OD Green Armor Tuff... looks really nice.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.