1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New here and just got my CHL. I already have a Glock 17C but the wife likes it alot, so I am looking into getting a 1911. I have heard great things about the Taurus, but also considering Para and Kimber. Any info would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
With the diversity of 1911's, first thing is what do you want out of a 1911, so we can better give you free advice as to what you need :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I agree with gottripletsNC...but if it were me...I'd seriously consider adding Springfield Armory to that list of manufacturers you are considering.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I have a Kimber Pro CDP & a Springer A1 loaded. Both have night sites. K has ambi safety, Springer single side. Kimber is lighter to carry but gets a little fussy w/ reloads after 200+. Springer NEVER does.
Kimber is a little more prestige I guess.

If I could only have one it would be the SA 1911A1.

I too would recomend it be added to your short list.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't own a Taurus, but I shot one and seen a couple.

The things I like about it:
-- front strap is checkered. There are no guns in this price range with a checkered front strap. It's not a custom checkering job by any means but still...
-- finish is pretty good.
-- trigger is very acceptable

Things I don't care for:
-- beavertail has knuckle relief - I just don't like this type of a BT
-- the hammer doesn't have much "purchase" for thumb-cocking. I prefer modern delta hammers or spur hammers on full size 1911. Just a preference thing.

Things I don't like about Taurus
-- too many stories of frames out of spec
-- too many stories of long waits on warranty work
-- too many MIM (read "inferior quality") parts

For ~ $600 I'd go for the following:
-- Colt 1991A1 old roll mark (matte finish), new in the box
-- Springfield Mil-Spec

But it's kind of hard to get a stone cold reliable well made 1911 at a low price. Your options expand a lot if your budget goes up to anywhere from $750 to $1600.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Im looking for a carry 1911 with night sights and bevertail. I havent decided if I want a rail or not.
According to your criteria, I would suggest:
Springfield Armory Loaded Champion with nightsights (~$750)
Dan Wesson CBOB (comes standard with nightsights) (~$1000) - this gun is worth way more than the extra $250 over the Springfield.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Find I have to chime in here. Have 50 yrs. of shooting 1911s and have owned many, some I should have kept oh well. Currently own a Colt LW Commander (1972), a Springfiield Loaded bought in 2000, Taurus 1911, and while not in 45 a RIA with a Ciener Platinum Cup .22RF conversion. I like all 4, and they serve me well. For the last year the 45 I shoot most is the PT1911, and I have yet to have any hiccups with it yet. It has digested and fired everything I've put through it. Now the last Kimber I had, developed more hiccups than someone on a 2 day toot. Reason I don't own it anymore. At my age I don't think I'll add anymore to the stable, very happy with what I have now, coveres all bases. My 4 cents worth, was 2 but with inflation has doubled like gas in the last year.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to say that for the money the Taurus is a GREAT 1911! I have just over a 1000 rnds. thru mine without a single problem. If money is a factor then the Taurus can't be beat........period!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I personally own a Para LTC and it is my every day carry gun. It has been completely reliable with every kind of ammo I have tried and Para's customer service has led me to considering purchasing another.

I definatly cant say anything bad about any of the companies you are considering as they all make very nice 1911's but I would definatly look at the Para for your first slabside.

Just my opinion and it is worth exactly what you paid for it :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
My pt 1911 is the stainless. I have put 1000 rounds through it including JHP,FMJ without a hiccup. It along with my Rossi 971 are my carry guns. So that shows my Faith I them

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a chance to handle a Taurus 1911 yesteray. Very rough. It reminded me of the low-end economy springfield milspecs, or the armscorp offering. The price is relatively low, but I expected better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a taurus pt 1911 not long ago and hasent missed a lick and have shot several different rounds from store bought to reloads. I really like it .I do have a colt series 80 bought a long time ago. After owning a colt I cant complain about the taurus. She does just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Evenin all. New to the forum but not new to 1911's. Had a bad run in with 2 Para 1911's, but absolutely no problems with a Stainless and a blue PT1911. Both pistols have 2k + rounds through 'em with zero problems. Just my 2c.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I am a CCW instructor here in AZ. I do at least one class a month and sometimes more. I have seen all types of guns including PT1911's. Some seem to be alright but most of them have some kind or other problem. I for one am not willing to take a chance on hit or miss quality. Look at Kimber or Springfield for an entry level 1911, MK
PS I have many 1911's including 3 Para P14's. Never a problem with any of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just FYI on the Kimber...lots of MIM parts...just saying, don't want to start the old MIM vs. forged vs. billet vs. cast argument It just seems like a lot of money for an item that many folks would want to replace all of the ignition components. Taurus seems to be the best deal for a starting point. Let the fire and flames begin!

Charlie

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
The Taurus PT1911, Remington R1 and the Ruger SR1911 seem to be the best of the $600ish 1911's at this time. I have handled all 3 and shot all except the SR1911. For the money they are all 3 great guns. BTW :), now seems like a great time to tell everyone that we currently have the Taurus PT1911 railed 1911 in blue on sale right now for $575. w/ free shipping.
http://www.shootersplus.com/taurus_semi_auto_handguns

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have several 1911's and a Taurus 1911 is one of my later guns. I love it and have developed a lot of trust in it. I have put about 300 rounds through it and not one hiccup. Every time I have a flyer I know why. I love this gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts