1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Who makes the STI frame blanks?

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  coyotemoon 
#1 ·
Who makes the investment cast STI frame blanks? Do they make them from the ground up? Im refering to the frames they sell and use on there Trojan/Ranger/Guardian pistols?

Are these frames as good as the Caspin cast frames or even some forged frames?

#2 ·
I am no expert but I believe the frames on the guns you mentioned are forged and made by STI themselves. The only cast frame that STI has comes from the P.I.'s and are used on the Spartans. STI frames are some of the best in the industry, Mirando

#3 · (Edited)
STI uses cast frames on some of their models other than the spartan. Their "standard" frame is cast:

4140 steel, investment cast
Heat treated to 28-32 Rockwell
I HAVE heard that taurus makes sti's small mim parts, if you look at the thumb safeties and grip safeties of both they are exactly alike.

#8 ·
The Trojan and many other STI's use a cast frame. As far as quality goes, I'd venture to say they are top notch along w/ Caspian. Fusion uses the same cast frames as STI on some of their models, and I have never heard a complaint about the cast frames from either company. I do not know if STI casts their own frames, or if they are outsourced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.