1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have one but I love the look of the bobtail's. Not sure how much it help's with concealment. I can't wait to get a commander with the bobtail for carry. Let's see your's to hold me over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Kimber SS Pro Carry that Ed brown bob-tailed. I really like it. Along with concealability, it really adds a lot of comfort by not having the sharp butt jabbing yo in the side.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
For a skinny guy like me,it helps a lot with concealment. I also grip the frame higher with a bobtail,probably cuz in the back of my mind I figure there's less to hold on to,but it helps.

Looks wise I could go either way,on a Government I can take it or leave it but it sure looks sharp on a Commander!

Not EB's,but here's some eye candy for ya:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Not a EB but Bobtailed

I've been thinking of having my C8 Baer Bobtailed

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Thanks! Not to hijack the thread,but those are spalted maple from Wicked Grips.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I dig those grips too .. i need to get something for my CBob besides stock

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Nice bob's guys. I absolutely love bobtails, to me they make a great feeling pistol melt right into my hand.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The bobtail was literally the only thing I liked about my Nighthawk Talon II. I really expected to dislike it, since I have rather large hands. I couldn't have been more wrong. I can honestly say that I never noticed it while shooting and it made using slim grips much better than on a standard frame.

I was shocked by how much that tiny amount of missing metal aided concealment.
On a concealed carry gun, the bob is almost a must have.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Great pic Ping

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ping, very nice!!!:smile:

Nice looking Submariner also, I have 2 of them now!!!:smile:

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Nice gun and Pic. I too, am a big fan of the bobtail.

G

·
I love the bobtail look, but only on the commander-sized guns. As for the feel, well, you can't beat it. Oh, and Ping, what a spectacular looking piece you have there! A little out of my price range right now, but I'll have to get one just like it someday!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love the bobtail look, but only on the commander-sized guns. As for the feel, well, you can't beat it. Oh, and Ping, what a spectacular looking piece you have there! A little out of my price range right now, but I'll have to get one just like it someday!
The look? I could take it, or leave it. But, it's damn functional. I would never consider it on a Gvt. model, but for a commander, I have to give it a big thumbs up.

Free advice: Leave it, "out of [your] price range". At least until they get the bugs worked out. I dumped mine. :hairpull:

Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, and several custom houses have produced myriad, functioning examples of bobtailed guns. Stick with what's proven.

G

·
Really? What bugs do the Nighthawk guns have, specifically?

I agree with you, by the way, for a gov't model the bobtail is ridiculous. You need the extra weight to prevent frontheavyness and maintain the perfect balance we all love about the 1911.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got hooked on bobtails with my KC, so I did one on an original Kimber SLE and on a full-size Colt. I was apprehensive about one on a Gov't size, but it's great. Chuck Rogers did it for me. Notice how he rounded it instead of the angles done with a Brown jig.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts