1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My B-Day is coming up and my wife wants to know what I want...I think it is finally time to get a .22 pistol. I have been going back and forth between a revolver (Smith's 617 or 317) and the Buckmark or Mark III. The gun would be for target and maybe a little hunting down the road.

I don't have a revolver yet so I have been thinking about the Smiths. However, I was looking at the Mark IIIs today and was really impressed. I've heard tons of good things about them. The only thing that concerns me about them is the supposed difficulty in field stripping and putting back together again.

From what I understand, the Buckmark is not as difficult to maintain as the Mark III and I have read favorable reviews on the Browning as well.

Which of the three would your choose for your first .22? I am still learning about handguns and want an easy to use, accurate, fun gun that will last.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Well i went with a MArk II .. I dont like the Mark III take down you hear people complain about the MKII the 3 is worse.. A used MKII is still a good Buy

The 617 is a nice pistol to i have one of the last years of the 17 you can't beat either of them I highly reccomend the Smith they make some excellent wheelies ..

As for the buckmark i never had one so can't comment

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have two of the Ruger Mark III 22/45's. I like the grip angle better on them than the other models. They add a few more steps to the disassembly due to the mag safety. It's not that bad after you have done it. They are great shooters and mine will shoot about any ammo. I shoot the bulk Federals from Wallyworld. Mine have several thousand round through them with no issues. I do regret not getting the stainless models though.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I have the Browning...and can't think of any complaints on it. It was my **** hunting gun for years...it has never failed me. But all of those you mentioned are great guns...its more or less which one fits you better. That probably ain't much help...but its all I got.

Oh...I almost forgot...my wife has a Beretta Neos 22 that is a fine shooter...not much to look at (IMO) but very accurate.

Heres a link to the Neos...in case you haven't seen one...
http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotlight/spotlight_u22neos_main.htm

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Buckmark, Ruger 22/45, or Mark II/III. Can't go wrong, nor with the Smith, but don't count out the Ruger Single Six. Its a single action revolver, and Ruger makes some really good old style wheel guns. The single six is the 22 version of my Blackhawk, and I will have a Single Six in the future.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I looked at hundreds of tables today. There was one 617, a handful of MKIIIs, and a few Buckmarks...mostly the basic versions. I was unable to find any of the models of the Buckmark I wanted. The 617 felt really heavy, I walked around for a few minutes...went back and it was gone.

Most of the MKIIIs were not quite the setup I wanted...and then I found it. The KMKIII678H...the Hunter with 6 7/8 inch barrel, stainless, Cocobolo grips, fiber optic site etc. I got a good price and am excited to break it in.

Thanks for all of the input. I'll try to post pics later.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol. I think you'll be happy with the Ruger.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I would post a pic. Thanks again for the input. I am hoping to take it to the range this weekend

Also, I bought my Dad a stainless stell Ruger single action .22 LR/Mag with adjustable sights that should be in today or tomorrow. I can't wait to take both the Rugers to the range.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
SUHWEEET!!!

Nice looking piece. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got the Ruger Mk III 22/45. I don't think the assembly/reassembly is a difficult as a lot of people make it out to be. The S&W M-17/K-22 is fine gun also!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Those Hunters are nice looking pistols for sure! I recently picked up a MKIII Target bull barrel myself, but wasn't real impressed with the factory set-up.
I did away with the magazine disconnect (free falling magazines are the berries!) and installed Volquartzen's hammer & sear, rear sight, and upgraded to a Marvel trigger. (3 1/2 lbs, clean & crisp) Now the gun lives up to it's "Target" heritage. :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts