1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A used CBOB .45ACP with mild idiot scratch.

A guy picked up a brand spankin' new CBOB less than a week ago, in that time he shot a total of two mags, cleaned it once, and "graced":rolleyes: the gun with a faint idiot scratch.

I know all the details as my wife works at the shop and I have inside scoop.

Anyway, the guy shot it decided it was too heavy, and traded it in at a major loss for $725 +/- and got a Kimber UCII.:rofl:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the scratch can be buffed out. It hasn't been priced by the owner of the shop yet, what ever he does price it out at will most likely be outrageously high, but I have an offer in mind, but I'd like to know where you guys chime in.

I've seen them on Gunsamerica for about $775 w/ blemishes, so I think that given that he actually paid the guy $725 I may offer him an even $800.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that's going to fly as he gave the guy $725 off the Kimber (poor guy still had to pay $100), the owner is a greedy bastard and will want to make something.

I could really care less about the scratch, all I know is that the round count is less than 50 and the price will be lower due to the scratch.

Should be a good deal.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
It's really hard to say as buds has gone up to 929. shipped for a new one now, I paid 830.+ a short time ago from whittakers and they are 883.99 shipped there now. I would probably go with a new one for that shipped from whittakers before I paid 800.00 for a used one and with tax it would be about 880. for me about what whittakers has the new one for. My ffl charges 5.00 transfer so that's only about 9.00 net more for the new one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's really hard to say as buds has gone up to 929. shipped for a new one now, I paid 830.+ a short time ago from whittakers and they are 883.99 shipped there now. I would probably go with a new one for that shipped from whittakers before I paid 800.00 for a used one and with tax it would be about 880. for me about what whittakers has the new one for. My ffl charges 5.00 transfer so that's only about 9.00 net more for the new one.
Don't even get me going on transfer fees around here, the TWO local shops don't do them and the guy up north will charge $75.00 if it's something he can order...:mad:

I don't know what THE TWO shops out west of here would want, I may want to check on that...

Thanks for the name of Whitaker's, that's a new one for me. For those interested, HERE's their link.

Looks like they've got good prices on Baers too.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
As it sounds like things are in flux I would lowball him for sure. It is one less thing he has to research or think about. He has got a buyer. I am thinking like Bud's offer.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
sounds like a crappy dealer to me .. i pay nothing for transfers

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like a crappy dealer to me .. i pay nothing for transfers
:tongue:Well Bud, I'm still new to the area, and unlike you I'm not getting a new Baer or Wilson every two months.:notworthy:

I'd go hang at the one shop up north, or the one good one west of here, just to get more acquainted, but the one out west (that is awesome BTW, Wilsons, NHCs and Browns) is about 1.5 hours away. And the one up north is about 45 minutes out and they usually close before I can get there after work.

I think I just need to get a small business grant and open my own damn shop.
:flag:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Prices have gone up,so $800 + tax is fair but not a steal. Bud's offer sounds about right. I'd lowball him just to see if he'll move it quick. If not,it's up to you if you want to try and strike a deal but you're probably SOL if he doesn't take your offer or make a reasonable counter-offer.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Hang on,your wife works there? Can she get a discount or something?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hang on,your wife works there? Can she get a discount or something?
:rofl: The owners are total tools, if it wasn't 2 minutes away with pretty flexible hours, she'd quit.

I'm not even going to get started on all the short comings on her place of employment. It's seriously mind boggling. Normally I'd never buy a gun from them period, I think the most I've bought there ever was one box of Gold Dots, pretty sad that it's right across the street and she's been working there for a little over 6 months and all I've been willing to buy from them was a box of Gold Dots.

The three or four guns that I've bought since moving here have all been from other shops or sent to other shops for transfer.

However, I will say that we did get hooked up on our safe because of her job, we got about 50% off our safe through Liberty as her shop is a Liberty dealer.:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
The place that will do transfers for me for nothing has the same problem. I go to the 5.00 guy because he is a good guy. I don't even think approx 880. including tax (estimation) is even fair for a used one. I would sell you one without an idiot scratch for that, probably even less.

:rofl: The owners are total tools.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well this just stinks, the owner of the shop priced the thing at $950.:mad: Who the hell is he kidding. One of these days I'm just going to go off on him for being a greedy, overpricing moron who has no business running a shop.

I' guess I'll have to let it sit there for two months and then make an offer on it, either that or I'll just go somewhere else and get a new one.

And also come to find out, the shop that I like doing business up north of me, just went out of business.:bawling:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Don't even get me going on transfer fees around here, the TWO local shops don't do them and the guy up north will charge $75.00 if it's something he can order...:mad:

I don't know what THE TWO shops out west of here would want, I may want to check on that...

Thanks for the name of Whitaker's, that's a new one for me. For those interested, HERE's their link.

Looks like they've got good prices on Baers too.
Here it's 20 to 25 bucks.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Whittakers is also a good place to deal with and the new guns I have gotten from them were not handled, buds is the same way. Whittakers also has lay away which is very good sometimes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
+1 for Whittakers

Whittakers is also a good place to deal with and the new guns I have gotten from them were not handled, buds is the same way. Whittakers also has lay away which is very good sometimes.
We've bought 10-12 handguns from Whittakers this year and have had nothing but good experiences with them. Fair prices, awesome selection, good people.

Keep an eye out for gun shows etc., we bought our CBOB new for $830 at a gun show in March.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I wish you could find good deals at gun shows here, they are a waste. Everything is higher than at the local gun shops which are already vastly overpriced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.