1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered this: what makes a 1911 California legal? I've heard a lot of different things, including a Titanium firing pin, go into making a CA legal gun. Some things are left off, too, like a magwell and high-cap magazines. So, what else is included or left off, and what is the purpose of these parts? Also, why are CA guns so much more expensive?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Excellent Question. I have always wondered that myself:confused:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
They also have to pass a drop test and not fire. I do not know the particulars of the test though.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Don't Forget pay out the rear to get on the DOJ's Approved List

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! If I were the tester I'd have my pistol fail that test on purpose. In all seriousness, though, I think it's a 20' test onto a hard surface on the muzzle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Short answer:

1. It has a positive manually operated safety device (per ATF regs)
2. It meets the firing requirement for handguns. (That is, it fires first 20 rounds without a malfunction and fires 600 rounds with no more than six malfunctions.)
3. It meets the drop safety requirement for handguns pursuant.
4. It has both a chamber load indicator and if it has a detachable magazine, a magazine disconnect mechanism.

Long answer:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12125.php

If you can't understand all of the the double negatives, thank your legislator.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for clearing that up! Hmmm, a 1911 with a magazine safety.... :crap::crap::crap:

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wonder how the renewal process effects prior 'approved' handguns......Do the new rules apply when a manufacturer's pistol has to be renewed?

Will say.....Kimber or Springfield now have to have a magazine disconnect when their current approval expires?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I wonder how the renewal process effects prior 'approved' handguns......Do the new rules apply when a manufacturer's pistol has to be renewed?

Will say.....Kimber or Springfield now have to have a magazine disconnect when their current approval expires?

Thats a Good question .

G

·
Discussion Starter #13

I don't think requirements change if it's a renewal.

Kyle you owe me a keyboard, sprayed Dr. Pepper on mine. :biglaugh:
That's what I'm here for. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I thought on Renewal they had to submit and meet the new Standards it what i was told before

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm, you may be right, after all you are -the- Bud White, knower of all things 1911. :wink: :whistle: (Am I channeling Bill in Ohio here?)

Anyway, you may be right. All I know is that you gun manufacturers wont have to install the new "bullet stamping" device upon resubmission.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
what makes a 1911 California legal?
A pack of uninformed idiots sitting in a room making a decision on something they know nothing about so they can massage their bloated feeling of self importance by actually allowing people to own something that should be the sole decision of the individual in the first place.

That's my take on it.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
That bullets stamping thing has to be the dumbest thing i ever heard

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with you both, there, no doubt about it. Hey Bud, how much will you bet me that criminals start using frangible ammunition within a week?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
no bets on that

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with you both, there, no doubt about it. Hey Bud, how much will you bet me that criminals start using frangible ammunition within a week?
Especially since they are banning lead bullets....frangibles aren't made of it. plus you get NO ballistic data since the round turns back to powder.

I bet they ban them next.......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts