1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PEORIA, Ill. — A central Illinois couple faces first-degree murder charges in the death of their 5-month-old baby, who was found unresponsive in a car seat that had been placed in a crib.

Both Tracey Hermann, 21, and James Sargent, 23, appeared Wednesday in Peoria County Circuit Court in the death of Benjamin Sargent.

The charges state the parents' actions or lack thereof, were "brutal and heinous . . . indicative of wanton cruelty," factors that could mean they face up to 100 years in prison if convicted.

The 5-month-old was dropped off at his parents' house on Feb. 4, strapped into his car seat. Eight days later, he was found in the same position, said Peoria County State's Attorney Kevin Lyons during a bond hearing for the parents.

"He died from starvation due to neglect from these two defendants, his parents," Lyons said. "It's the worst case of child neglect we have seen since the turn of this century."

Sargent said virtually nothing, during a 20-minute hearing before Peoria County Circuit Judge Glenn Collier. Hermann told Collier her attorney was in Hawaii so she requested a court-appointed lawyer. (more at link)
You don't drop a child of ANYWHERE without doing it person to person. Dropping one off strapped in a car unattended is bad enough, but this is ridiculous. These morons need to be strapped in a car seat and starved to death. I know I'm sounding like old fogies did when I was young, but it seems to me like the US is turning into a "video game playing, non responsibility accepting bunch of half wits". I just want to choke both of these morons with my bare hands. This is torture and murder and they should never breathe free air again. I know kids get killed all the time, but this one particularly irritates the hell out of me.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331732,00.html

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Hey now wait i like to play video games...

But i do agree they should fry these 2 or draw and quarter

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to play video games some too, but there seems to be a rapidly growing segment that will not let things like jobs, their kids, etc. come between them and their games. I think a lot of them were raised themselves with video games as babysitters.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How about life in the electric chair?

One of our dispatchers recently adopted an infant boy who was abused. He had a flat spot on the back of his head from sitting in the car seat all the time. He doesn't cry at all because he figured out it does him no good since his mom wouldn't respond to his crying. He's doing a lot better now.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Your probley Right there Jerry .. But i think to many people blame games for everything when it was bad parenting that raised them

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You are right and I am not blaming the games themselves, I don't believe a game ever made anyone do anything. It is DEFINITELY the parents that are not doing their job.

Parents think it's everyone else's job to raise their kids for them. Parents don't want to deal with their kids so they use games, computers, etc. to do their parenting or so they don't have to do it. Video games are perfectly fine, but sticking kids on them from the time they get off school till they go to bed is the problem. They don't know anything else. "It takes a village" is a crock, it takes parents doing their job.

How about life in the electric chair?

One of our dispatchers recently adopted an infant boy who was abused. He had a flat spot on the back of his head from sitting in the car seat all the time. He doesn't cry at all because he figured out it does him no good since his mom wouldn't respond to his crying. He's doing a lot better now.
Life in the chair is good for me and good to hear your dispatcher got the boy before he was killed.

Yep, leave him in the seat all the time and when he's old enough stick him on video games 24/7 (the hours he is awake).

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I know kids get killed all the time, but this one particularly irritates the hell out of me.
Me too:mad:.. It gave me the vision of that baby strapped in that car seat hungry, scared, alone, and crying for Mom and Dad... my friends, that nearly brought tears to my eyes (and I'm not a softy AT ALL). I just don't understand how somebody could do that to an innocent child...there are lots of adults (including these parents) that deserve it...but not a helpless infant.

I won't say what I would do to the parents if given the chance.

·
Registered
692 Posts
This is starting to sound like it's more than an epidemic!
Just since last summer here in Central Indiana there have been at least 6 cases of child abuse/death!
Most of the kids were under 2 and the last one was 6!
She was in her bed and was shot by an idiot that had a beef with her dad - drive-by style!

It's gettin' weird out there!

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Me too:mad:.. It gave me the vision of that baby strapped in that car seat hungry, scared, alone, and crying for Mom and Dad... my friends, that nearly brought tears to my eyes (and I'm not a softy AT ALL). I just don't understand how somebody could do that to an innocent child...there are lots of adults (including these parents) that deserve it...but not a helpless infant.

I won't say what I would do to the parents if given the chance.
That's the exact same feeling I got ridge. I just can't keep from thinking about how long the kid sit there before starving to death.

This is starting to sound like it's more than an epidemic!
Just since last summer here in Central Indiana there have been at least 6 cases of child abuse/death!
Most of the kids were under 2 and the last one was 6!
She was in her bed and was shot by an idiot that had a beef with her dad - drive-by style!

It's gettin' weird out there!
It just seems to get worse. There even seems to be a rise in teachers abusing kids. We just had another teacher (female, north of us) nailed for having sex with a student. It's almost a regular happening now.

·
1911auto Supporters
286 Posts
I've preached funerals for children who died as a result of this type of abuse. There are no words for this type of situation.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet that's tough Parson.

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
This is sickening, but unfortunately, of the crimes against children about.0001% make the news. We all know its the 1-2% of society that is inherently bad. Regardless of what we do as a responsible society, we cant make everyone good.

I vote for legislation to ban video game use and you have to have a license and background check before buying a video game system.

Irony???? hmmm? :thinking:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
What really eats me up is that people like that can have the kids but don't deserve them, and with my wife and I, it took almost 4 years of trying and lots of money in medicine to get what we got. We had given up, but the doctor wanted to try one more time and we got three. It really burns my hide when people like that can have em, and don't appreciate the gift given to them, when others who want them so bad can't have em.

I have come to the point now that I am not mad at people like that, I really pity them because they don't know whats in store for them in the near future.

I agree, its hard to remain civil around the parents, many times have I wanted to jump right dead into somebody for abuse, but I always remember my kids at home need me home at the end of my shift.
Still, I'd love to give em just as good as they gave.

·
Registered
565 Posts
We are to protect the young and help and protect the old. We are letting this crap happen all the time, hope they fry in hell. By the way I born and raised in Peoria IL, left there four years ago and happy I did. This city has change big time.

·
Resident Septuagenarian
178 Posts
I'm old enough to remember 'Ozzie and Harriet' type families.

I saw the change when graphical violence started on TV. And then the movies, and, of course the internet, Oh, and violent video games.

Marriage used to be permanent, and I recall the first time I heard a friend was getting a divorce. I was stunned..Now it's , well, no big deal. Children? Just walk away. Yes, they were called children, not kids..

I didn't get my 'street smarts' till I was about 20. Now, 5 year olds know it all. And I mean sex, perversion, etc...

I am proud to say my children and grandchildren have and are being raised correctly.

Values have gone...what does the future hold?

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Makes me sick. It really does. I can't imagine my own son being treated like that. I agree they need to be strapped to a chair and left to rot in the desert.

You have to wonder about the motivation for such neglect,and what other factors were involved. Drugs,cruelty,laziness,or just colossal stupidity? It's not natural,especially for mothers.

El Pistolero said:
"It takes a village" is a crock, it takes parents doing their job.
Amen to that! My parents allowed minimal video games and tv time at home,instead they made me play outside and even do chores,can you believe it?! Well now I have memories of real things I did,instead of fake stuff on a screen. And as much as I hate to sound like my dad,he was right...it built character.

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
There sure seems to be an epidemic of stupidity these days. As for these two -- hanging's too good for them.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The hardest part for me is to remain civil around the parents. I know it's not Christian but I'd like to help justice along if you know what I mean.
I get it.

Amen to that! My parents allowed minimal video games and tv time at home,instead they made me play outside and even do chores,can you believe it?!
Exactly. The games themselves are not the problem, just parents that use them to do to their job. Parents need to see that video games are a recreation, to be controled by them not a babysitter 24/7.

I vote for legislation to ban video game use and you have to have a license and background check before buying a video game system.

Irony???? hmmm?
I'm not sure where anyone said anything about getting rid of video games or even controling them. It's about parents that should not have kids in the first place using them as babysitters.

I'm old enough to remember 'Ozzie and Harriet' type families
Me too, but those families for the most part were on tv. It's still a huge change though from then till now. We were not allowed to sit in the house all day and we had plenty of chores. My kids had chores to do also, and I might add that in my part of the country (boonies, the po part) kids was used back then also, children was what people on tv said. As for street smarts we had dirt roads, no streets.:) Going into the service at 18 and moving to the big city was an experience.

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Exactly. The games themselves are not the problem, just parents that use them to do to their job. Parents need to see that video games are a recreation, to be controled by them not a babysitter 24/7.

I'm not sure where anyone said anything about getting rid of video games or even controling them. It's about parents that should not have kids in the first place using them as babysitters.
I was trying to use that as a funny analogy to compare politicians excuses for gun control to make society safe. Well many people have gone crazy from too much video games, yet the politicians are not banning video games.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.