1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever felt the mod/mods on a particular forum have done you a dis-service? In your opinion, what does over moderation mean to you? Please do not name any forums you are upset with.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes,
The reason I am here is because of that. Period.

I never cussed, I never flamed, I never name called, I was simply pro America and Pro Second Amendment. Got so sick of it I 'asked' them to ban me permanently.

I am SO glad to be here.... the membership here will grow VERY quickly...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very occasionally I might think so.
In fact, I was thinking about it earlier today (elsewhere) when a thread was locked because the subject had been brought up a hundred times before.

The thread was the familar "Is cocked and locked safe?" but the difference was that the poster was in LE and was looking for an angle to present to his administration to get SA autos approved for duty use.
I was going to post that his dept has probably issued shotguns like the Remington 870 for a couple of decades, which is deployed cocked and locked (you just can't see the hammer), and there has probably never been a problem caused by that. He might be able to play it that the precedent is already there.

But I can't suggest that because the thread is locked because someone is tired of the question.
If you are tired of the question, just don't read it.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I have never had one do me any dis-service, but I have witnessed a few of them that went overboard with their personal opinion...I have NO experience at moderating a forum, but I believe they are there to enforce the rules and should do so without turning it into a personal attack. In other words...they enforce the rules...not make them up as they go.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks RidgeRunner, I agree.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
As i say you can have a personal opinion as a mod but dont attack the person Go after the argument.. At the end of the day mods are just like you here to have fun and learn and hopefully spread the love of the 1911 and guns in general

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
As i say you can have a personal opinion as a mod but dont attack the person Go after the argument.. At the end of the day mods are just like you here to have fun and learn and hopefully spread the love of the 1911 and guns in general
Exactly....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've never had a problem, yet, but I have seen an occasional mod stomp someone based on personal opinion not for being out of line. That is going a little to far. Folks here seem pretty good so far and hopefully we can all keep it that way!

·
Resident Septuagenarian
178 Posts
Why I am here.....
No other reason but to see what else can be read/discussed about my beloved 1911s.
No trouble with Mods elsewhere, but, have to go on tippy-toes at times.

P.S. And to express my American feelings w/o offending the rest of the world....

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I have had an occasion to question the actions of one particular mod. He has a very narrow view of things, states his opinions like they are unquestionable, and throws his power around like a tyrant. I cringe whenever I see his posts.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have had an occasion to question the actions of one particular mod. He has a very narrow view of things, states his opinions like they are unquestionable, and throws his power around like a tyrant. I cringe whenever I see his posts.
For the most part...probably 95% + of the time, the mods on any forum I visit are excellent, very accomodating and willing to share knowledge. But....there is the occasional situation as quoted above where, while it hasn`t affected me personally, I`ve felt badly for the member whose inexperience or differing opinion was the blunt of fairly nasty replies and actions by the mod. That is why I joined here....a refreshing atmosphere.:flag:

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Only time I've been "dissed" was on the other forum when I posted about some probs I had w/ "the lady" in the custom shop office at SA. I got a few of the "never had a prob with her before" responses and a MOD actually called me a "LIAR" on line and sent me a PM that any more of my comments like the thread I had posted and I would be banned. Tracy

·
Registered
37 Posts
In another forum where I learned a lot about 1911, and still continue to read postings in that forum: I made a mistake of posting the same question in two locations (threads) which I acknowledge when I posted the question, when I said in the intro of the second posting that I posted same in another thread but reposting to ensure that I get a wider ansswer. This resulted in a warning pm and now everytime I log in I see under my name that I have two warnings. This happened a few months ago and I still see that warning under my name. This is not good, a warning is a warning and need not be carried for such a long time.

anyway more power to this group.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Tony ya don't Like the Scarlet Letter? :)

Not sure If or when we use the infraction system what it will show you .. or how long the stuff might show ..

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
welp fellas, as a member of several discussion boards, and a mod/administrator on a couple trade related boards i frequent, It's my opinion the mods are there to implement the board policy/rules.

Just like any where else in the world, no one is perfect, nor will all agree with all decisions made.
Indeed some may seem more personable than others as well.
(that includes members as well as mods)
However, just like I expect from the mods here, all will do their best to be fair and even handed "to the best of their ability".

a mention about board policy and rules.
yes, some boards may be very strict, others seem to have a "wild wild west" metality.
I frequent both types of boards and those in between

It's my opinon that the owners of those boards have every right to run them as they see fit.
It's "their" sand box, their rules.

Lastly, I'd hate to see this board foster an "us against them" mentality.
I feel that's of no value to anyone.

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's my opinon that the owners of those boards have every right to run them as they see fit.
It's "their" sand box, their rules.

Lastly, I'd hate to see this board foster an "us against them" mentality.
I feel that's of no value to anyone.

..L.T.A.
I agree CAP, however...

It is their sandbox, they make the rules. But they did NOT apply the rules to others as they did to me, many times others said things just like I did, but they had thousands of posts, and I got nailed. (red in my face) So be it, their sandbox.

There is no "us against them," in my mind, there is no them...

Im just to much of a free speech type to survive in that environment.
:flag: Glad they have a board they like, and VERY glad to be here...

Everyone wins eh? :biglaugh:

I WILL support advertisers of this site and let them know where I found them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have any of you ever felt the mod/mods on a particular forum have done you a dis-service?
Yes, It is hard to get a clear picture about a company or brand if a mod becomes too much of a cheerleader for them. I have seen instances of threads being locked where people have had legitimate problems. Others where people have a negative experience or opinion about brand xx. I like to hear all sides not just the side the mod agrees with. Honestly I find it more interesting to read posts from people that have a different opinion than I do.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BO Thanks That is the kind of thing I want to hear. What do you guys want from us Mods. I do not want this thread to turn into a discussion where we bash other forums. We will grow to be the best by being honest, interesting, thought provoking and fair.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Ok Guys Lets Not turn this in a Us VS Them Post Or it will have to be Moderated ..

This is not the Place to Air The problems With other Forums .. I'm Sure non of you would like anyone running to another forum and bad mouthing here so lets Take The Highroad And Place ourselfs above those that try to Bring us Down..

Bud

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
You're right Bud. I would like the mods here to just enforce the rules as stated. If they have to take action I would expect them to be polite but firm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.