1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A have a light weight Caspian fram that I picked up thinking I could cut down to an officers grip. I'm told that is not possible. How can I verifly what frame I have (GOV/Commander)? Where can I find out what is different between the two? I have someone who wants the frame for a commander, but I don't want to sell it to him if it won't work.

Thanks, TX

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Put a govt mag in and see if it sits flush. If it sticks out, you've got an Officer's frame.

Some govt frames have minor differences in the specs and cannot be used to make a Commander without modifications. It's really hard to say without more info and measurements.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
It won't work, since this a not a colt question I'm moving it to the gunsmith section.

·
Registered
128 Posts
the Commander has a full sized grip frame, it shares grips, magazines, mainspring housings and grip safeties with the Government Model. Click to enlargeAll parts with the exception of the barrels, slides bushings and recoil springs, plugs and guides swap out between the two. Although on a quick inspection, it appears a Commander slide can be placed on a Government Model frame to convert the gun, the dust cover of the Commander frame is shorter to correspond with the shorter slide. The slide will fit, but the dustcover will be too long. If the reverse swap is done, the recoil spring will be exposed.

I'll try and find the Dimensions for the dustcover...here's this for now. I think there's only 1/4 inch difference...If you want to measure yours.
From AR15.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.