1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Gunnie 12

We do offer black oxide, polished or blasted. Also stainless, polished or blasted. We are doing an Ion Bond finish for a customer currently. Bob could let you know about hardchrome, in fact I'll ask him tomorrow.

Thanks for the interest.

Dale.

·
Forum Supporter
141 Posts
What is the price for Ion Bond, with polished frame and slide?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right now you can get them to finish the whole gun directly for $300. I believe that Fusion is covering the two way shipping cost + their trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Information inside my previously posted link.

The name of the company is IonBond, LLC in Greensboro, NC. The finish is called "DLC" in the firearms industry. It's hard to accurately do an apples to apples comparison of the finishes, since they are apples, oranges, bananas and grapefruits, but here's my short $0.02 worth.

Bear Coat and Black-T are sorta cousins in that they are sprayed on coatings that are baked at a fairly low temp to cure. So long as their skin is not broken, they have the highest advertised salt spray corrosion test numbers, like a 1,000 hours or such.

Neither Bear Coat or Black-T is particularly resistant to abrasion, when compared to Melonite and DLC, although they are more durable than bluing and Parkerizing, maybe because the coating thickness is greater. Folks will argue that one is appreciably more durable than the other but I just can't see a huge difference myself. My own experience with using Black-T on a bunch of pistols and Bear Coat on a few is the chief difference to me is that often times the Bear Coat was so thick as to require a bit of controlled sanding in concealed places to get the parts back together after being finished in Bear Coat. I've never had an assembly problem with Black-T, even on fairly tight guns.

Melonite and DLC are a more fair comparison to each other as both are really hard on the Rockwell "C" scale. DLC is advertised at 70 to 90. I don't know about Melonite, but would expect a similar test result. Melonite is a surface treatment that is finished off in Black Oxide (think bluing) where DLC is a PVD (physical vapor deposition) coating. From my experience, the black color is more durable on DLC. To me, the big difference between these two is the temperatures involved. Melonite is done at temps around 1200 degrees, give or take; where DLC is done at 400 degrees (just a little hotter than bluing tanks). Aside from the obvious difference in temperatures that the gun is subjected to, this means is that the smaller parts like extractor, pins, screws, sear, hammer, magazine catch, etc. cannot be finished in Melonite. They have to be finished in black oxide or a spray on finish. With DLC, all the parts can be done.

DLC's salt spray test time is claimed at 48 hours. Bluing fails in under 3 hours normally. I don't know what Melonite is rated at.

I did have a lot of problems reassembling pistols treated with Melonite, mostly having to lap fit the slide & frame rails after the treatment. I've had no problems with DLC with reassembly.

Melonite seems to only be available in matte finishes, where DLC can be done on polished surfaces and in my eyes, looks so much like bluing that you can hardly tell.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Price wise this is what was posted July 07'. It has not changed to my understanding. You can always call them and ask.

Slide only $50.00

Slide and Barrel$ 75.00

Slide, barrel and all internals of slide $100.00

Frame only $100.00

Frame and all internals $200.00

Complete pistol $300.00

AR-15 complete upper $225.00

Complete AR-15 $425.00

Complete AR-15 lower $160.00

Complete Bolt rifle $350.00

Barreled action only $275.00

Rifle barrels ( AR-15 and other centerfire rifle) $65.00

Complete bolt carrier group $75.00
If no metal prep is required ie: blasting off phosphate: $50.00

Small parts and components $5.00 to $15.00 a pc. Depending on Size and complexity

Pistol barrels only $15.00

Shotgun receivers $175.00

Shotgun Barrels $65.00

Shotgun internals/ all $150.00

Pistol Magazines $15.00 each

AR-15 Magazines and variants: $25.00 each

Custom fixed blade Knives $40.00 each

Custom Folders w/ all parts $55.00

1 - 12 of 12 Posts