1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a newbie here, as well as to the 1911 world. As my user handle suggests, I'm a die hard Glock shooter, but I'm trying to get into Bullseye shooting, and my Glocks just aren't made for that application.

I just bought my first 1911 last month, a very little used Kimber Custom II. However, I wasn't happy with the factory barrel, so I bought a Kart EZ fit barrel, and fit it myself. It is now shooting 1 inch groups at 25 yards, off the rest.

Now I want a commander size 1911, and was wondering whether to buy a production pistol, and replace the barrel, or to build one using Fusion frame, and slide. So to make it short, what kind of tools, or special skills do I need to build a Fusion pistol? FWIW, I'm very handy with hand tools.

Thanks in advance :)

GlockMonk

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are special tools for everything from slide fitting, trigger track files, barrel alignment jigs, sear jigs, beavertail jigs, sight stakers, sight pushers, lug cutters, grip screw bushing stakers, plunger tube stakers.....

You can also have Fusion do as much of the work as you want or as little as you want, depending on where you want to spend the money, tools or the pistol. This could largely depend on how many 1911s you decide you want to build in the future.

For me, I bought one of their Pro-Series e-z fit kits that has the frame, slide, barrel, an dbushing already fitted. I also had them stake the plunger tube. Most of the other fitting is done with simple hand tools, files, sandpaper polishing stones, etc.

I don't plan on a bunch of builds, so this seemd to make the most economical, and practical sense, as all of teh hard fitting that requires th most tool work was already done.

I built mine as a bullseye pistol for service pistol competitions, and am very happy with the resulting 1911. Bob Serva was very helpful in adressing my questions and helping me decide what services would be best left to the professionals. I think I must have called three times, and exchanged twice as many e-mails before I placed my order. They were patient with me as I made my decisions, and definitely earned the business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doc, thanks for the info. I'd probably follow the same route, and have Fusion take care of most of the work as much as possible. I'll contact Bob, and ask for his advice as well.

GlockMonk

·
Registered
747 Posts
GlockMonk,

Welcome to the forum:wavey: You definitely should get a hold of Bob at Fusion. He will let you know what you need to do, or he can just build the gun for you if you want to go that route.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.