1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

How reliable are they?

• 100% reliable, I'd trust them with my life.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Very reliable, just as good as Wilson, Metalform or Tripp.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Not reliable at all, stick with Wilson.

Votes: 3 13.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard two radically different stories about the reliability of these magazines. My question to you guys is, how reliable are they? Cosmetics aside, how good are these mags? Good quality, utter reliability, longevity?
Thanks a lot guys,
KB

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The 2 that came with my smith were great never any probs i should have kept them..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have never had a problem with any of mine!!! I have also sold quite a few without any complaints!:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Did not have what fit my experience.
I have run ACT & Metalform mags in my SA 1911-A1 loaded & they are reliable.
My Kimber Pro CDPll only likes WC, Trips, Les Baer. These 3 work as good as the other in in the K.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I do trust them with my life. Kimber TLE by the bed,Novak mag with 8+1 Hydrashoks cocked and locked.

·
Forum Supporters
51 Posts
The very early ones did have some problems with cracks developing on the back from the feed lips but they got their heat treat and grinding corrected in short order.
I do like the fact they have a lifetime warranty, also.
All that said, I do carry them as SD mags and have never had a problem at all.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
The act mag/novaks are VERY reliable. I like plastic followers a lot and if it makes a difference STI uses them or at least they did.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
"plastic followers"???

I must have something different.
The 8rnd Novak/ACT (says both on mine) that came with my RIA, has what looks to be a stainless follower.

Think i've only had one feed failure in appx 800 rnds thru that particular mag.
(my only Novak mag)
And thruthfully, I'm not positive it was the Novak mag when that stopage occured.
So...it's either been 100% for feed reliability or 99.9%

Recently, the Novak isn't locking the slide back after the last round.
Doesn't fail all the time, just every now and then.

Maybe time for new springs or tweak the follower???

..L.T.A.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
The springs should still be good after 800 rounds,that's only 100 cycles. Most quality mags will last 3000 or so rounds before the spring needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got three of them with a Nighthawk. To date, they are the only mags that I could not make run reliably in any of my guns. They had the metal followers. They would not drop free in the Nighthawk, or three Baers. They did drop free from a Colt's s70, but you could back a truck into that mag chute.

The ones I've seen from Wolff seemed to work ok, but I suspect that Wolff is using their ultra-beefy springs in them.

The finish on mine were beautiful. The slam pads were too large to accommodate an EB magwell.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Oops, I was thinking about the sig p220 act-mag's, I have several of those and they have plastic followers. Duh. My 1911 mags have steel followers but I still have good luck with them. Irish, I know they had bad problems with cracking early on but they seem to have stopped it right away some time ago.

"plastic followers"???

I must have something different.
The 8rnd Novak/ACT (says both on mine) that came with my RIA, has what looks to be a stainless follower.

Think i've only had one feed failure in appx 800 rnds thru that particular mag.
(my only Novak mag)
And thruthfully, I'm not positive it was the Novak mag when that stopage occured.
So...it's either been 100% for feed reliability or 99.9%

Recently, the Novak isn't locking the slide back after the last round.
Doesn't fail all the time, just every now and then.

Maybe time for new springs or tweak the follower???

..L.T.A.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.