1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my new Rock. It is shooting low and left. Nice tight group, but low and left. I was thinking it was my technique, but have had another person shoot it and came up with exact same grouping. So I started looking closely at the sight, and found the sight to be malformed. I'm not sure if it really matters or not. Just wondering if you guys think it might be the cause of my problem, before I bother Ray or Ivan about it. I have owned the gun since new, and the sight has never been bumped, as is very tight.

It's realy hard to get a good pic with my old 7 mp camera, but hope that is some help.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The top picture makes the front sight look like it is offset to the left, but the second picture shows that both sights are right in the middle of the slide.

Could you drift the rear sight a little to the right to bring your group to the center of the target? The shooting low problem would require a change in sight height, either the rear sight needs to be higher or the front sight needs to be lower. That's the hard part.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Hey, I'm left handed! If you're near let me send a few rounds downrange.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Yep i agree let a lefty shoot it then go from there its hard to say on the pic's if the sights are lined up or not .. But then little sights make it hard to shoot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the very least it is definitely not right. How hard is it to replace the front sight? After looking at it more, I just can't get past it. the gun runs flawless so far, but I worry that if something as fundamental as the sight is messed up, what else might I find. Sorry to vent, I guess I'm just disappointed that my new gun has a flaw .

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I've got that sight staker and have used it successfully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had friend who shoots equally well either left or right handed try it, and he had the same issue. So I checked out that staking tool, and I am not that mechanically inclined. I love the GI sights, I have a 1911I do not want to give up on this Rock yet, because it is an exceptional gun for the price.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Take it to the local smith and let him but a different front sight on it

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
How far low and left and at what range?
10 yrds, 20?

also, have you shot the gun from a rest?

if not, shoot it from the bags first

..L.T.A.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts