1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a WASR-10 purchase. :thinking:I know all about the high-end AK's out there, but they are out of my price range. :eek:Anyone out there have any input to offer? :confused:Your most esteemed opinions are highly sought after! :notworthy:Thanks, David.:biggrin:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
WASR's are by and large "good enough". For the same price or a hair more,I'd look for an SAR-1. They are much better,in my experience. WASR's have the magazine well cut out to accept double-stacks,and alot of times the magazine is loose and rattles around. Doesn't usually hurt anything,but SAR's seem to have a much tighter fit for the mags. If you're looking at one,borrow a mag and slam it in...it should fit nice and snug without too much side to side movement.

Both are shipped into the US as parts and reassembled,so check for the infamous canted front sight on either one. Hold it up like you're firing it and you'll see right away if the front sight is crooked. And it's not just the front sight post you're looking for;make sure the whole barrel isn't a few degrees off level. If the sights are ok and the dust cover is nice and even,you're usually good to go.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Zero is right on in what he said. The WASR will work fine, but the SAR-1 is a bit nicer. I looked at both and bought the SAR-1. It was used and looked better than the new WASR. However, mine does have a very slightly canted front sight, and I had to replace the trigger group as mine developed the infamous "trigger slap" that the Century Arms rifles are so well known for. Even with those little problems, it was still a great buy as I got it for $275. The trigger group replacement was only around $30.

The WASR will make a decent shooter if you go that route, but your mags will probably be a bit "jiggly." One advantage of the WASR over the SAR-1 (at least mine) is that WASR's usually come with a muzzle break or flash hider, and SAR's do not. Good luck with your hunt for an inexpensive AKM. They are out there, and they are FUN!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.