1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by wally world on my way home tonight to pick up some things and stopped at the ammo counter to see what the prices had gone up to. After looking the entire selection over 2 full times I realized THERE WASN'T ANY HANDGUN AMMO! Didn't have any intention of buying anything, just interested in the current prices. They had a selection of rifle ammo from 223 to 30-06, but no handgun ammo. Tracy

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
What,were they sold out or they just don't carry it anymore?

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I think all these Dicks Sporting Goods stores popping up is squeezing WalMart out of this corner of the market...I have an inside source...My wife has been a WalMart associate for about 6 years now...

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
The stores here just barely carry handgun ammo, a box or two of each, so about 50% of the time they are out. Don't know why, but they have done it that way all along.

No dick's here, there's an academy here but walmart is cheaper. They did it the same way before academy.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
There is a Dicks here for every WalMart...just down the road.
Within 50 miles of my house...4 WalMarts...4 Dicks

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I didn't clarify my first post. There weren't any stickers on the shelf for handgun ammo. I asked an "associate" who said they stopped carrying handgun ammo before she transferred into the sporting goods dept. None on the shelf and no place to put it anyway. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
One thing about Wal-Mart is that all stuff that comes into the store is regulated by corporate offices. If Corporate says that you can 2 of this and 3 of that, well then thats what you can get a max of. I asked a friend of mine who works in Sporting Goods why there wasn't anymore than 3 boxes at the time of 223, and he said that was the max they could have of that particular type.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I couldn't find any .45 at WalMart either. I drove down the street to Dick's. They had 2 boxes of hardball. No JHP of any brand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I have 3 Walmarts near me (within 24 miles) and they still carry the ammo that I need. One still carries 303 British. But I have noticed that after Jan. 1st, the stock on the ammo has changed, and so have the prices.

They used to carry .223 by the case, but now it is only about 5 boxes at a time.
They used to stock .45 ACP on a shelf by itself, and had lots of boxed in both CCI, WINchester, and Remington, but now it is only a about 5 or 6 of each now.
.45 ACP in CCI was $11.97/ 50rds. but now is $14.88/ 50rds.
WIN was $24.95/ 100rds but now is $28.98/ 100rds.

even the .223 Rem. was $5.97 per box of 20, now it is $7.49 per box of 20.

I hate seeing this kind of price increase on ammos that I shoot alot of.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've been noticing a change at WM too. Last summer I saw 45ACP Rem 230gr JHP for $23/100 and Win White Box at $24/100. (Of course I picked up 1000 rounds of each.)

But back in Nov there was no Rem at all, no JHP at all in 45 ACP, just WWB Ball at $26/100(they had plenty).
And just last week the WWB was $29/100 and only 4 boxes available.

I go there for the $4 scripts and usually pick up 4 boxes (400) when the script comes due so I keep an eye on their ammo supply.:cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I have 3 Walmarts near me (within 24 miles) and they still carry the ammo that I need. One still carries 303 British. But I have noticed that after Jan. 1st, the stock on the ammo has changed, and so have the prices.

They used to carry .223 by the case, but now it is only about 5 boxes at a time.
They used to stock .45 ACP on a shelf by itself, and had lots of boxed in both CCI, WINchester, and Remington, but now it is only a about 5 or 6 of each now.
.45 ACP in CCI was $11.97/ 50rds. but now is $14.88/ 50rds.
WIN was $24.95/ 100rds but now is $28.98/ 100rds.

even the .223 Rem. was $5.97 per box of 20, now it is $7.49 per box of 20.

I hate seeing this kind of price increase on ammos that I shoot alot of.

The last 3 times I have been to Walmart (I usually go in there once a week), they have had no .223 FMJ 55gr ammo ("target ammo"). Not only that, they jumped the price again to $8.53 per box of 20.

The .45's are still the same prices as stated above.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The nearest WalMart to me in Phoenix quit carrying handgun ammo. Rifle and shotgun still there. I asked the clerk if I bought some .22's, am I only able to use them in a rifle. He couldn't figure out what I was talking about...
I was down in Yuma, AZ last week and their WalMart still had pistol ammo, must be a small town thing.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just got back from gettin my monthly meds at the WM.
Bought 400 rounds .45 ACP @ $29.88/100
The price is still inching upwards!

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
It's the same price here. .45 went up a buck since the last time I was there. I don't know if they were expecting a rush or something,but I counted over thirty boxes behind the counter!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hold on to your hats. A little birdy told me $34.88 is in the works.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
all the Wally Worldz in my hood carry pistol ammo

prices have remained fairly stable for the last 8 months or so.

Blazer Brass went up a buck after the New Year.
from $11.97 pr 50 rnd to $12.97
WWB has remainded steady @ $29 pr 100nd pack
(it went up to that price about a year ago)

WWB 9mm has remained steady at $15 and some change pr 100 for quite some time too.

BTW, they stopped selling long guns (in my area, anyway) well over a year ago.
I don't think that had anything to do about being "politicly correct" though.
Rather, I suspect it was based on too much trouble handling them (Fed regs and paper work) and lack of sales for the hassle

case in point;
I was buying something at the sporting goods counter one day, while a fellow was trying to buy a shotgun.
Their inventory showed they had two in stock.
But one was "missing" and no one could find it:nonono:

..L.T.A.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where is "here"? Tracy

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
I took a quick look last week while in Wally World.

if I recall right, WWB 100rnd pack went to $32 and some change
9mm WWB 100rnd was $17 and something
For the life of me, I can't recall what BB was priced at.
It may be in the $14 bean slot now too

I haven't paid much attention to ammo prices since I got my progressive press last Spring.

Now I watch component prices go UP:hairpull:

I may end up casting my own lead
Matter fact, think I'll start looking around for sources of free lead

..L.T.A.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts