1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what's up with Springfield and their lead times - but I think they suck for a production item. :hairpull:

I have had a Mis-Spec on order with my local dealer since the middle of February (16th). His supplier (Davidson) told him to quit asking when they will ship, cause he keeps checking for me.

Has anyone heard what the hold-up is?

Thanks..... :shades:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Same thing as the past couple years i bet they can't keep up with production

·
Registered
394 Posts
No they can`t keep up with demand. When you see that wholesale distributers and large gun shops snatch up ooddles of them when a production run is completed, it`s a wonder that there are any others left for sale. Check out the online gun auctions. Many many NIB examples for sale there.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
How far is Franklin County from St. Clair County IL? Ron & Jo's in O'fallon here has a few in stock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Franklin county, Mo is west of St. Louis county.

Thanks for the lead ZeroTA, I can wait for my dealer to get it in. I do not want to shaft him.

In the mean time I am purchasing an evil black rifle (hee, hee) :dancingbananna:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I could not wait any more and I purchased a GI version last week in SS.

Ran some rounds through it Saturday during a CCW class I was teaching.

Shoots right on as one of my students kept all shots within the nine ring (mostly 10x's) from seven yards on a B27 target.

We are getting crushed cases. Not every round. And, it is not keeping the gun from ejecting them. I will take some pics and share with the board.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We are getting crushed cases. Not every round. And, it is not keeping the gun from ejecting them.
same as my experience with a Springfield mil-spec. I tuned the extractor (which had no tension when I got the gun) and it helped a lot but some cases were still ejected with a dent.

I was told by my dealer that between the demand for the XD and the Springfield GI, all other SA models are basically taking a back seat.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
We are getting crushed cases. Not every round. And, it is not keeping the gun from ejecting them. I will take some pics and share with the board.
How crushed?

Or just dented?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hard to explain. End is crushed with scrape marks parallel to the case. Seems like they are maybe hitting the slide on the way out? As if the slide is coming back before the case is totally ejected. No stove piping yet. And it does not happen on every round.

To check if it was limp wristing, I put the gun on a bench rest, held tight and still received bent cases (but not on every round).

Pic's to follow....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all new poster here!
Thank god I am not the only one experiencing this. I have been trying to save my cases for when I get into reloading but with most of the brass coming out dented and I have even had some come out that it looks like someone took a pair of tin snips to them. A buddy of mine told me that it is probably the extractor causing this. If so I am going to have to buy a new one because I want to start saving all of my brass, and I have noticed that every few rounds I shoot, I get hit in the face with the spent casing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I took pictures of the case(s) and the firearm they came out of:

The Group:

Single case:

The Gun:

So you all think it is the extractor not working properly :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Welcome to the board & to reloading when you get started there too.
One of our Smithing experts will be along shortly w/ an answer for you.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
2 things come to mind...

1- The extractor is not adjusted properly...you won't need a new one...just tweak the one you have.
2- Your recoil spring may be too heavy.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not a gunsmith...just a tinkerer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2 things come to mind...

1- The extractor is not adjusted properly...you won't need a new one...just tweak the one you have.
2- Your recoil spring may be too heavy.
hear! hear! on both points.

one more: limpwristing can make the recoil spring seem heavier than it is (although considering you're an instructor, it's unlikely you'd be limpwristing)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah about half of my cases come out looking like the ones in that picture and then I have some that look like the edges have been ripped by something.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Ejector and extractor. I had a micro doing exactly that. The casing was hitting the ejector, but instead of being flown out of the breech, the case was then jumping off the extractor hook and hitting the side of the ejection port. That is causing your dents, and was causing FTE's for me.

1. First thing is to tune your extractor, might need some stoning to it to, and might need a different ejector, but start with the extractor.
Too tight and it will cause FTRTB's, but too loose and well you found out what it does.

2. What kind of ejector does it have, standard or extended?

This is also why Mil-Spec's come with lowered and flared ejection ports, this will help some, but that would be last of my ideas to try. Not sure I would even try it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tuned the extractor once. Still denting cases. I have tuned it again so I will try the range again.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts