1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's a bit of confusion about which is which,so this is basically a copy of what's currently on SA's website.

GI.45

All GI models are built with a forged frame,slide and barrel and include low-profile military sights,standard magazine well and spur hammer,standard ejection port,arched mainspring housing with lanyard loop,vertical slide serrations,hardwood U.S. grips and titanium firing pin.

Mil-Spec

A step up from the GI,the Mil-Spec includes many improvements utilized by the U.S. military during the 1911's years of service. These features include: High-profile 3-dot sights,high-hand grip,beveled magazine well,polished feed ramp and throated barrel,lowered and flared ejection port and angled slide serrations.

Both models are available in stainless or parkerized. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
There's a bit of confusion about which is which,so this is basically a copy of what's currently on SA's website.

GI.45

Mil-Spec

Hope this helps. :)
A step up from the GI,the Mil-Spec includes many improvements utilized by the U.S. military during the 1911's years of service. These features include: High-profile 3-dot sights,high-hand grip,beveled magazine well,polished feed ramp and throated barrel,lowered and flared ejection port and angled slide serrations.
Where did this quote come from? The real USGI Government pistols did not utilize those features.

Springfield's

GI Model:
Blued barrel
High wall ejection port
GI sights
Lanyard loop on mainspring housing
Vertical cocking serration's on slide

Mil-Spec:
Stainless barrel and on some models a stainless bushing
Loaded chamber indicator
Lowered and flared ejection port
High profile 3-dot sights
Beveled magazine well
No lanyard loop on mainspring housing
Angled cocking serration's on slide

Reactions: OldGoat

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That quote came directly from the Springfield Armory website. My post was simply how to tell the difference between Springfield's current GI and Mil-Spec models. Whether or not genuine USGI pistols actually had these features is probably a discussion for another thread. :)

·
Administrator
1,288 Posts
I see, thank you sir. It threw me when they claimed the U.S. Military used the features listed, when they never did.

Reactions: OldGoat

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Dan, don't forget the GI's have a two piece barrel also. I believe the SS ones of the Mil-Spec are one piece barrels.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I thought all Springfield except the custom shop use 2 piece my Loaded's are 2 piece

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I thought all Springfield except the custom shop use 2 piece my Loaded's are 2 piece

May be right Bud, I may be thinking about the match barrels only.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
i think my Trophy Match is one piece but my Loaded sure are not you can see the Seam

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The GI and Mil-Spec both use two-piece barrels,whether parkerized or stainless. And sometimes,a parkerized Mil-Spec will come with a stainless bushing and barrel.

Springfield actually uses two-piece barrels throughout the Loaded line as well.

I believe this thread has accomplished what it set out to do. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.