1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon every one. A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine who is looking at getting his first 1911 (and money is tight) had come across a used 5 inch Blued Charles Daly at a shop in his home town, and he wanted me to take a look at it. This morning was the first opportunity I`ve had to get up his way and take a peek at it. The shop owner got it from a smith who did a few mods to it back when the smith still worked for him. He didn`t know much more than that about the history of the gun. The slide to frame fit was decent, the bore was very clean, it has a stainless beavertail GS that was fit very well and a commander hammer, it has a stainless thumb safety that while not perfect as far as enguagement seemed good, and the trigger was in my opinion perfect (crisp, no creep, and about 4.5 lb). The gun has also had a 2 piece FLGR installed. Now the vertical lockup left a little to be desired, much more than either of my newer guns have (obviously couldn`t measure it), and the blued finish has some scratches and wear. The rear-bottom of the slide showed obvious use wear as did the firing pin stop, like it`s seen a fair amount of use. The gun passed all the function tests that I could remember to do. Asking Price is $520. I didn`t know what to tell my friend....is this a decent price or should he keep looking? I thought that perhaps he could get a new one for not much more than that, since I`m not sure that the few mods that have been done to the gun are all that outstanding or would add that much value. Your opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was a little high. I checked on Gun Broker last nite and there were finer examples for less money. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
For that much look at a springfield ..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked with my friend today and suggested the same thing...either get a Springer, or perhaps a RIA. The RIA`s seem to be a great entry level gun. He wouldn`t do much with it anyways...other than make sure it`s reliable for home defense.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this is true, I must ask why 1911? Talk this guy into a nice DA/SA Sig. I love 1911's but they are not the idal beginner home defense pistol.
While he would be new to the 1911 platform, he`s not new to guns. He has a couple of revolvers (.38 and .357) and shoots very well with them. He just doesn`t shoot very often. He`s looking at he semi auto/1911 platform for more than one of the obvious reasons when home/self defense is the motivation....ease of reloading, the overall feel and comfortableness of the grip, etc., and lots of folks just love the look of a 1911. I can`t fault him for that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, that is high for a CD 1911. You can do much better on the price on that pistol if you look around or spend a little more and get a different brand. The CD 1911 was my 2nd 1911 platformed pistol but my first 45acp.. Before that I owned a Llama 380acp & 9mm 1911. I now own a Kimber Custom II 45acp.that I've had for a few years and have put maybe just over 500 rds of 230gr Ball ammo. Except for a small issue with the slide stop which Kimber sent a new part for it has been a very acurate pistol.

Now my CD 1911 has one problem which I haven't addressed. When I hold the pistol with the slide locked back and insert a fresh 8rd Mec-Gar mag (that is what is supplied with the pistol) the the slide rides home on it's own. I have tried this several different ways but it still happens. I am thinking that I should change slide stops but I haven't as of yet. So for now it is not a BIG problem but I will have to fix it. It has never fired and I never have my finger on the trigger of any fire arm when I reload. The Best saftey you have is the one between your ears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, that is high for a CD 1911. You can do much better on the price on that pistol if you look around or spend a little more and get a different brand. The CD 1911 was my 2nd 1911 platformed pistol but my first 45acp.. Before that I owned a Llama 380acp & 9mm 1911. I now own a Kimber Custom II 45acp.that I've had for a few years and have put maybe just over 500 rds of 230gr Ball ammo. Except for a small issue with the slide stop which Kimber sent a new part for it has been a very acurate pistol.

Now my CD 1911 has one problem which I haven't addressed. When I hold the pistol with the slide locked back and insert a fresh 8rd Mec-Gar mag (that is what is supplied with the pistol) the the slide rides home on it's own. I have tried this several different ways but it still happens. I am thinking that I should change slide stops but I haven't as of yet. So for now it is not a BIG problem but I will have to fix it. It has never fired and I never have my finger on the trigger of any fire arm when I reload. The Best saftey you have is the one between your ears.
Spikey,
I must apologize. I have not been visiting all the boards where I registered on a daily basis and as a result I have missed some posts that I should have responded to sooner.

Regardigng your CD 1911, if you still have your slide stop problem, we would like our service department to take a look at it. If you will PM me your full name, address and serial number I will nmake sure a FedEx Call Tag is issued to you. We will have FedEx pick up your gun, get it back here, make sure it runs properly and get it back to you as soon as possible.

Let me know what you want to do.

Sincerely,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts