1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out in my shed reloading today, did about 500 rds of 230 rnl w/3 diff charge wgt of 2 diff powders. As I was sitting a bullet into the top of the case mouth, the bullet slipped and set on top upside down.

Alright boys & girls...... How many have thought about loading a bullet rn or swc upside down so it would look like a 38 special full wadcutter?

How many have done it?

If you did, how did they feed & shoot?

I've thought about it many times over the yrs, but never thought to ask "who else did too". Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I remember reading an article about this somewhere...but I haven't tried it.

IIIRC, the article was about loading hollow base wadcutters backwards in a 38 special...it made for some impressive expansion.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Specifically in a 45acp. It won't matter in a revolver. I was leaning toward function of chambering such a sharp edge and no "rn" ogive to feed up the feed ramp. Also with much more bullet shank in the case, case capacity would be less and the charge wgt would have to dropped also.

Thinking further, if you could get them to feed and chamber reliably, would they shoot straight, or keyhole? Lot of questions.`

If I lived where I could just open my back door and shoot, I prob would have tried this already. Make a couple of dummy rds to get the OAL right for feeding, then start with about 3.0 gr of 231 or Unique. Not a lot of pressure, but enough to make sure it gets out the bbl. Then try for accuracy. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Yeah...I thought about that after I posted...revolvers are a bit different.

I doubt that they would feed...especially in a 1911...but I don't know.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would take some experimenting with the OAL. The original wc's were/are a very short OAL. Mine would feed reliably at 1.165 IIRC. I think an upside down bullet would prob be closer to 1.100 to 1.150. I know of guys who have guns that will feed empty brass, they should feed my idea too. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I know of guys who have guns that will feed empty brass, they should feed my idea too. Tracy
I didn't think about that way...it just might work.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys, Finally got some time to play with this, (been averaging 77+ hrs every week good for the OT, but bad for ME time). Took my faithful 255 lswc ( but any bullet will do since they all look the same upside down), and experimented with the OAL first. 1.075 (real short) functioned smooth in longslide. Figuring (since there is no load data for this) I would go low and work up if needed, I started with 3.6 gr Unique (.43 disk in the Lee powder disk setup for those that care) and ended there. IT WORKED and functioned fine. Comped longslide with a #16 recoil spring dropped the brass about 4' to my right. Only shot 3 into the dirt(out my shed door---mostly closed so as not to upset the neighbors---I DO live in the city limits). Fired 1 to make sure it would work. Then loaded 2, to make sure it would fire, eject & chamber the next rd. Worked w/o a hitch. Now I guess I'll have to start a bowling pin load experiment

Don't know what kind of accuracy I'll get, but I'm encouraged so far. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Now I guess I'll have to start a bowling pin load experiment

Don't know what kind of accuracy I'll get, but I'm encouraged so far. Tracy
Cool...keep us posted. I'm kinda curious now...

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next chance to shoot for accuracy is the pin shoot the 3rd Sat., but I'm pretty sure we have a mandatory work weekend then :hairpull: and wont be able to shoot until the 1st Sat in Aug. As always, this could take awhile. Tracy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since it works this caveat may be unnecessary but....

It's one thing to load full wadcutters backwards. The load data usually is for bevel-based wadcutters that look the same at either end so loading hollowbase actually gives a margin of safety. Turning them around just makes them the same as regular wadcutters as far as case capacity goes.

Semi-wadcutters, however, are going to project farther into the case and seriously reduce the case capacity. I'd worry about what that might do to chamber pressures and associated powder burning rates.

I noticed that you started with a greatly reduced starting load so you probably took that into account but anyone else thinking of trying this should also consider the same thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.