1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you are in the same boat as me? My wife is not fond of firearms. In fact, she's a little scared of them. She worries a little when I take my daughters shooting, but knows how careful I am when they are around. Knowing my passion for everything firearms related, she freely allows my indulgence. She even bought me a new Dillon press and an 98k Mauser for Christmas. I thought she was coming around when she fired my AK47 at the range last summer, but it was more like trying something just to say you did it. She did enjoy going to the MissouriCarry annual statewide picnic and meeting all the "gun people". I think that the more she's around women shooters, she'll realize it's not just a "guy thing". I have even come to appreciate the different fragrances of the candles she sells on the side. It's not just a "girl thing", you know. :shades:

·
Registered
104 Posts
My wife is not a 'gun nut', but she doesn't dislike them and has no problem with my passion about shooting and reloading. She does have her own bedside gun, a 4" S&W 686, that she will practice with every three months and has done so for years. Enough so that I wouldn't want to be in front of her sights.

After 43 years of marriage, she let's me do my thing and I let her to hers (quilting, sewing, etc). It works out well for both of us. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
My wife understands that this country was built on the fact that men with integrity were willing to defend their beliefs, and this took the act of taking up arms.
That being said, she doesn't give me the approval to go spend every bit of money on weapons, but she does realize that the older we get, that our second amendment freedoms are continously being attacked, and appreciates what the second amendment means.
She has her own gun, and it is also a 4 inch 686, and as previously stated, is good enough, that I ain't gonna be in her sights. She does enjoy it when we go shooting also. Now does she live and breathe guns such as us men do, No she doesn't.

She understands that firearms are a very basic part of a Man's need for danger.

As long as I do it in moderation, and don't affect our financial needs, she doesn't really care how many guns I own or buy, just as long as she is aware before the purchase, or at least knows when I have done it, and doesn't find out after the fact.

Now I don't believe I'm gonna be able to justify that Barrett M82A1, :crap:but the AR I'm building she is actually looking forward to.:dancingbananna:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im lucky I guess, My girl understamds I have a gun problem and is OK with it. Heck she has a nice collection going herself 5 handguns and 2 rifles, maybe she has the problem?

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
My wife's dad is a gun-lovin' God-fearin' Texan,so she's used to guns being around. Now,she's a girly girl and likes her shoes and purses and whatever else goes with all that but she could not care less about guns. I could have two hundred guns and she just wouldn't care,as long as she got all her stuff too!

But,she says she likes having one around that she can use if she has to. She likes her S&W 19-3,and she can handle .38+p with no problems.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
mine likes to shoot but isnt a gun nut ..

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
My Mrs. isn't a gun person. She does put up with my hobby without complaining. However, there was the time when I let her look inside my safe. That was a mistake. The other day she asked if I had a gun in the bedroom, just in case. There were TV reports of home break-ins and I guess she was concerned. I think she's slowly coming around.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My wife is very supportive when it comes to my guns and shooting. Since I don`t shoot alot, it really never becomes an issue. She knows I carry most of the time now, and I at least think she feels safer because of it. I do need to get her out shooting with me a little bit this winter. While shooting truly isn`t her "thing", she agrees that she needs to be versed in the use of the weapons that she may have to use someday. AND, she would use them. You all know that you don`t mess around with a momma bears babies.:eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd have to say that my wife is on the anti side, but continues to drift more toward my views. She's never been fanatic, but I'd call it uncomfortable.

Some years back I taught her to shoot sporting clays and she likes doing that. Bought her an autoloader shotgun that fits her pretty well.

She's gone pistol shooting with me a couple of times and does very well. All that I have around here is an indoor range and all of the people shooting at once, made her uncomfortable. Some combiation of loud / didn't trust their safety.

She keeps drifting more pro gun and I'd be surprised if she didn't get her CCW permit in the coming year.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
My wife is not originally from this country and grew up where pretty much the only people that owns guns are the criminals. She is scared of them, won't go shooting, don't even like one being in the room with one if I'm not there. She's by no means an anti and she has never tried to stop me form owning or carrying guns. It's just the way she was brought up and where she lived.

The daughter was introduced to guns early and and is not remotely the same way. She lives in the people's republic of the left coast and I made sure she was comfortable with them early on. Not long ago when I was talking to her she said the 2 oldest grandkids would be old enough to go shooting when they come back and I agreed with her.

I come from a family where the women are gun people. My mother and both of my grandmothers. My last grandmother died this past year but when my grandfater died (I'll never forget the date it was 9/10/2001 and the towers went down the next day) I asked her if she wanted a gun for her nightstand while she was waiting for her house to sell and she would move close to my mother. She said yes so I took her several. She picked a small .25 auto I had at the time and said since sh'e geting old (was in her 80's) she had proably better get a light one. I think even if she would have wounded an intruder with a .25 she would have finished him off herself. She gave it back to me when she moved as my mother had several handguns. She was a tough old bird, the toughest I have ever known and i miss her. I was her oldest grandson and everyone says I was her favorite, but I also visited her a LOT more than her other grandkids.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My wife is not a gun person either but she does not dislike them!!! She says they all have a purpose, some are used for good and some for bad!!! She actually bought my last two 44 Auto Mag pistols for me. I cannot complain about that. She knows that I am into guns just like she is into jewelry so we both have a hobby. Although some of her hobby pieces are much more expensive than mine!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
My wife tolerates my interest in guns. It will never be any more than that because she had a traumatic experience with guns when she was sixteen and she has never gotten over it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife also tolerates my interest but doesn't join in it. However, she did surprise me pre-Christmas with an early gift of the price of a new Fusion Commander (now on order).

On a side note, she is begining to realize that the world is not a safe place. In a restaurant the other night she noticed a scruffy guy clearly printing at 4:00 o'clock.

Slow exposure is opening her viewpoint. I don't push it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
My wife is not a gun nut. She looks at guns as a tool, she has ccw and carries all the time. She does practice in order to keep up her skills.But she don't understand my love for Les Bears, and my idea more LB's is better.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
My bride of 37yrs is not a gun nut & does not go to the range often. She does stay proficient w/ her 2 hand guns. She does not hassel me when I trade.

Now my Mom is the one that reminds me that it is time to go to the range since we havent been in a while.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
My wife just bought a Glock 26 a few weeks ago...then, just the other day she tells me to go to the gun shop to make a payment on her gun... I said "what gun"?

She replied "the one you bought me for a late Christmas present". While i was standing there scratching my head trying figure out what she had smoked for breakfast, she said..."you remember that EMP I said I liked in that magazine dont you?

After that it was all good...I been trying to sell her on the 1911 for a while, but it was a little too much for her in 45 acp. My only complaint is that she could have told me I bought a $1000+ pistol before I went and bought $500 ear rings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.