1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this elsewhere, but since I seem to spend more time here lately, I thought I would re-post. Enjoy.

Almost twenty years ago as a new Captain we were operating the flight to Baton Rouge, LA on a Wednesday evening. Wednesday was important because the hotel where we stayed had a special, $3.95 all the mud bugs (crawfish for ya'll northerners) you could eat.

I liked standing in the cockpit door, greeting the passengers and helping the flight attendants make sure our departure was on time. A portly first class "gentleman" boarded with a two suiter packed with what looked like seven days worth of articles. There was NO WAY it would fit in the overhead.

Bobbi, my lead flight attendant, tried several times to assist this individual but to no avail. Finally, he turned towards her and launched the bag hitting her across the chest and knocking her towards the cockpit, yelling "take care of it". I was mortified, I did not want this individual on my flight for safety reasons. I told Bobbi I would contact the airport police (Houston had a different police department for the airport system) and have him removed immediately!

Against my better judgement, I allowed Bobbi to convince me that she could handle the situation and things would be OK. She requested that I help her carry the bag down to the ramp to gate check it and we could get off the gate close to schedule. Walking down the stairs attached to the jetway and across the ramp, Bobbi was all smiles and pleasant. But as I handed the bag to the baggage handler, the 4' 11" bubbly Bobbi got red in the face, veins popped out of her forehead and in a deep guttural voice came.....

"Denver, send that G** D*** bag to Denver!" By the time we returned to the aircraft she was all smiles again. The flight proceeded as planned and we landed in Baton Rouge five minutes early (Jet A was only 28 cents a gallon at the time.)

The last picture of this "gentleman" I have as we hopped into the van for the ride to the hotel and my mud bugs was of him staring at the bags going by wondering when his would arrive!:rofl:

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can appreciate this. While in the USAF in the late 70's I had a friend who worked in Base Admin. He was handling the overseas house goods shipment when he had to deal with a very overbearing major. The major had quickly become something of a legend as he was great at yelling and trying to threaten every enlisted he dealt with over his overseas move to Germany. My friend tolerated all his threats and BS even when told by the major that if anything went wrong he'd see him courts martialed! He also made a slight typo in the destination code and accidentally had all his stuff shipped to Iran, about a year after the hostage mess........ gee, sorry, a simple typo!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.