1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I'm wondering if it is possible to put a regular (non-ramped) barrel into a Trojan. I used to have one and I really liked it except that It never fed correctly, even after 2 trips back to STI (who had great customer service I might add). I have read from a couple of 1911 experts (gun smiths/operators) that they believe ramped barrels in 1911's to be inherently more unreliable. After reading this, and sending my gun back twice to be worked on, I wonder if that was the problem w/ mine. To be fair to the Trojan model, I have read many more good reviews of it than problems. Like I said earlier, I really liked that gun, and they can be had for a good price, so if it is possible to switch the barrel for a good non-ramped one, I may be interested in another. I think that the frame is modified for a ramped barrel. If this is correct, would that pose a problem? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
It would post a big problem, the ramp would be gone. The ramp is cut out of the frame to put a ramped barrel in.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
yes and no can it be done sure how much $$$$$$$$ ya got .. but in reality no due to frame bridge being cut plus the ramp.. they would have to weld in a ramp and then im not sure how you would patch the bridge ..

what problems are you having with it ?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I thought it might be a problem. Bud, I don't actually have the gun anymore. I sold it because I couldn't get it to run reliably. The problems were mostly failures to go into battery. The first time I sent it back to STI they polished the feed ramp and did kind of a standard reliability treatment. When I got it back, the problem was still present. I sent it back a second time and they swapped in a stronger recoil spring and changed the extractor. When I got it back it still had the same problems although they were somewhat less frequent. I'm just wondering if I should give a Trojan another try. They are a very nice gun for the price, and I shot better with it than any other center fire handgun that I have tried. I would definitely be interested to hear from other Trojan owners about your experiences either good or bad. Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
That's not really an inherent problem with ramped barrels, you must have gotten a bad one.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ammo was getting stuck on the ramp and stopping the the rounds from chambering and the slide from going into full battery. I have read many other similar problems with Trojans, but on the other hand I have read many positives as well. Jerry, you are probably correct that I just got a lemon. It really is too bad because this gun was beautiful. It had the Heine straight 8 fixed sights, ambi safety (I'm a lefty), a mag well, and I had the frame and all controls hard chromed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.