1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone ever had their trigger lbs per pull change while firing away at the range? It happened to me the past 2x i was at the range. It seem to happen when i get to the 150 rnd point. It seems that the tirgger goes from a 4lb to an 8-10lb pull. I was shooting federal 230 gr hp yesterday, and fmj target rounds the previous. I think it might just be a fouling problem because after i clean the gun it seems to go away. Im just courious if anyone else has had this issue, and has a solution. Its my first 1911, and im use to using my plastic side arm.

thanks

If anyone is on the fence, and not sure if they should buy a fusion. They are an exceptional firearm, and you get a lot for your money. I am very satisfied!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Mishman..

I haven't experienced this issue but I think what may be happening is that the fouling may be getting into the trigger cavity where the trigger bow slides back and forth. After cleaning, it may be free again thus letting the pull drop back to the 4lb range. This may get better as you shoot it more as the fouling might polish the surface that contacts the bow. A drop of oil along the bow should help but also may collect the fouling some more. Let us know if it gets worse or better after more rounds through the pipe.

Have fun and be safe!!:flag:

Dale.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dale. The trigger pull does go back to normal after cleaning. I figured that it was a fouling problem. I was just hoping that someone had a solution. I'll try slightly oiling it. Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Sounds like fouling if it goes back to the same original trigger pull after cleaning. But to go from 4 to 8 would be quite a swing. I would also check the trigger adjustment screw and make sure it is not too far in and creating this condition....But, you would not see it go back to 4 after cleaning... anyway.. check that and if you need more help feel free to call in anytime.
Thanks again for all your support,
:smile::smile:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mishman,

Do you shoot with your thumb over or under the thumb safety? I may be grasping at straws here, but I used to shoot my old 1911 low thumb (thumb under safety). Every once in a while at the range, I would notice that the trigger was getting really hard to pull, and sometimes the gun would not fire until a split second after I pulled the trigger. I thought it was a trigger problem, but one day realized that during recoil, my thumb was bumping the thumb safety "up" just enough to temporarily bind the trigger. After I figured that out, I started shooting 1911's with a high thumb hold and never had the problem again. Again, I'm probably wrong in thinking this might be your problem, but hey........

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Run a bore snake thru it every 50 rounds ? Really I doult if you are fouling, after 75 rounds this happens I go with donkey77 thoughts on it. The way to test it is have someone else you about 75 rounds thru it and use a gage not your feel .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for all the info. Donkey 77 I'll have to pay close attention next time i hit the range. What you are saying does make sence. I was practicing draw and shoot drills, and im still getting use to that safty. I'll keep you posted on the progress ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it might be because of a magazine. It only happened today with one mag. went through 200 rounds. I don't know if the mag would cause this problem, but it seems to be the case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have mostly wilson mags (6 out of 7), and have no problems with them. Is it possible for a mag to cause that trigger problem? Sorry if i sound clueless, but its my first 1911. Thanks again for all the info guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have noticed that WWB is FILTHY in .45acp. I've never seen such crud buildup in a semi-auto as I see with this stuff. I should be rolling my own ammo as of this weekend if Midsouth comes through with my reloading stuff...
Can't wait to see what W231 does as opposed to WWB crap.

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the problem has nothing to do w/ the mag. I think it is the adjustable trigger. It seems to be locking up to the point that the hammer will not fall. I fixed this by backing the tension screw out, and it happened again to me last night. Can I locktite this screw or just take it out completely?

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Mishman, adjust it then loctite it in. Screw it in till the hammer will not fall when you pull the trigger. Then back it out barely each time till the hammer will fall. Next cock it, hold the hammer and pull the trigger. Let the hammer down slow and if you feel it hitting the sear a little back it out slightly again till the hammer goes down smoothly. Then back it out a tad more and loctite it in.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I think so, blue holds great and if need be its easily broken loose in case you want to re adjust or put it in another gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.