1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I've been lurking for a bit - learning from a wide variety of posts. I've only shot a 1911 once, but am looking to purchase one.

Although I have experience shooting trap and skeet, my handgun knowledge is almost non-existent. I know that I need a significant amount of training and have started looking at various programs.

Two of the one's that have stuck out so far have been Gunsite Academy and Frontsight (www.frontsight.com). Does anyone have any experience with either of these two programs?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would recommend a basic handgun class (such as offered by the NRA) as a starter. From there you would want to build your skill level with practice and additional classes. These can be local schools (found by and near most large metropolitan areas), or as you stated places like gunsite and frontline. I personally have no experience with either, but I hear good things about them and would not hesitate to attend if the $$$ were available to do so.

You attendance at any course will be up to you based on how much money and time you have to spend.

Of course - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I will definitely search out local training to serve as my foundation, but I also wanted to start saving money should these programs be worthwhile.

I live in the greater Chicago area which isn't one of the more firearm friendly areas of the country....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would recommend a basic handgun class (such as offered by the NRA) as a starter. From there you would want to build your skill level with practice and additional classes. These can be local schools (found by and near most large metropolitan areas), or as you stated places like gunsite and frontline. I personally have no experience with either, but I hear good things about them and would not hesitate to attend if the $$$ were available to do so.

You attendance at any course will be up to you based on how much money and time you have to spend.

Of course - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
I agree! A basic course is a great start and you can build from there.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
I went to 2 courses at Gunsite in AZ. To tell the truth besides thinking they were over priced. The courses are well planned and have good trainers. I have taken the Low Light course as well as the Combat Shotgun course.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!

I will definitely search out local training to serve as my foundation, but I also wanted to start saving money should these programs be worthwhile.

I live in the greater Chicago area which isn't one of the more firearm friendly areas of the country....
You are correct that the State of Illinois is not altogether firearm friendly. Been there, lived there, don't necessarily want to go back (even for family).

That said, I would imagine that there are trainers available in the suburbs that you can look up. Check the NRA website. Do a search on firearm trainers on the web. There are many ways to skin a cat Chevalier.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Chevalier, definitely get some basics under your belt. NRA courses are really great.
Contact the NRA for instructors in your area.(Be sure to join too!)

Gunsite offers a course in Lebanon, Indiana(about an hour or so NW of Indy), in conjunction with the Sheriffs Department.
Here's some info.

·
Registered
60 Posts
take a nra course first then go to gunsite over frontsite..the guy that runs frontsight has a lot of little side programs that he want you to get involed with ..after the training at his weapons school..
i been to two diff gunsite course and found there to good for the money that you will spend..
so people belive that gunsite is little overpriced for what they teach ,,but i will ask you this what is your life worth ,,get the propler training somewhere and pratice what they teach you

·
Registered
60 Posts
that why i did not like the course there ,..after the training was over they want to talk to about joining there little group of people there..and some of the sales pitch where little off center in my book

·
Registered
60 Posts
i took the one day 1911 pistol course for breaking down and repairing the 1911 pistol..that was the only course i wanted to do ..they tried to sale me on a lot of other course that they had ...
my next course is at thunder ranch this summer with the family for a couple of diff course there,..
the thunder ranch people where pretty nice about some of the things that my girls ask them about there training

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.