1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
:flag:
The Kitty Hawk has seved well.
I think the George Washington is one hellava upgrade!

I wonder if people will ever be comfortable with nyclear energy???:confused:
Do they ever consider they can get killed stepping off the curb and being hit by a bus???

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was on the prairie for 5 years during the 70's and didn't think much of her being decommissioned as she was a wwII ship, but the o'brien a spruance class destroyer was commissioned a few years before I was on board and was decommissioned in 2004. THAT makes me feel old.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wasn't on the Kitty Hawk, but I did serve on one of her sisters...USS America CV-66. The America was used in a SINKEX a few years ago & now lies at the bottom of the Atlantic.....some days I feel old.....

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's where the o'brien is now, deep 6ed.

·
Spell-Check at the ready!
141 Posts
I did a West Pac on her in 92/ 93 (the year one of the screws fell off her)-- I served as CAG EOD for a few years after that.
She's a good ship, I formed lots of good memories on her- I believe I grew up on her flight deck-- the day I saw a Brown Shirt get sucked into a F14-- I also became a Shell Back right there on her flight deck- and we sure bombed the crap out Iraq from her deck-- (at least VFA 27 did, I don't know about the rest of'em lol).

Did any of you know that the USS Kitty Hawk is actually the USS Constellation (CVA-64) -- they switched the two while they were being built-- I guess there was a fire or something and they didn't want to delay they launching of the Kitty Hawk so at the last minute they switched the names. I have no way of proving this my old Chief told me and I have no reason to doubt him.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first ship I was on was the USS Prairie AD-15 which was a destroyer tender. The same thing happened with it and the keel was laid and building started on the USS Dixie. They switched the dixie over to the prairie and down in one of the holds was a big brass plate still mounted that said USS Dixie. I was down there several times and saw it, it was widely known on there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It is hard to believe that some of the old ships are gone. Does anyone remeber the U.S.S. Forestfire? (a.k.a. U.S.S. Forrestal).

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Thank you all for your service, for letting us listen to the memories, to all that went before you, & those that will follow after you.:flag:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.