1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I begin, this is my opinion and may not be the same as others. Also, for what its worth, I am first and foremost a 1911 guy but I really like this gun as well. So here goes:

I purchased my SA XDm at the Ft Worth gun show at the end of August. It was one of only two left by the time I got there, or so I was told. I do know that every pistol booth I went to when I got there said they had sold out by lunch on Saturday. I didn't get there until 2:30 but that's another story in itself.

Anyway, I finally got to shoot it the way I wanted to yesterday and I like it a lot. I had previously put 100 rounds through it right after I bought it but the range I was shooting on was not conducive to the way I wanted to shoot to break it in. First of all the interchangeable backstraps is great. I have tried all three and will use the medium-sized one as it fits me best. All work well but the medium-sized backstrap is more of a custom fit for me.

I shot 200 rounds through it yesterday with no problem. I had one failure to feed roughly round number 20 (when I shot my first 100 rounds) and it just didn't come off the magazine right. After that, all was well. I shot an extremely tight group at both 7 and 15 yds. If you put the front sight on something it will definitely hit it. It is a nail driver!

The magazines hold 16 rounds.

The trigger on the XDm still has more "travel time" than I would like to see but it is some better than the original version.

It is definitely more ergonomically correct than the original one. I thought the first edition fit my hand like a glove but the XDm feels so much better.

Pictures are posted below and I hope this helps some of you that were wandering about the XDm. Again, this is all my opinion and not put across as fact. Bottom line: it will never replace my Kimber, as it is both my favorite gun and my carry gun as well, but it is a fun gun to shoot and my son likes shooting it too.

·
Registered
747 Posts
SWEET!!!! I want one real bad, but I'm going to wait until the 9mm version comes out. Then I will sell my son and pick one up. I might have to sell my wife as well to get a shotgun that I've been eyeing :thinking:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I can tell you that the demand for these at the gun show was crazy. The XDm and the Ruger LCP were flying out of the building. The table that I bought this one from pretty much let me know in a kind way that there was not going to be any kind of a "deal" for this gun. I was going to give what he was asking for or not buy it. Having said that, I still got it cheaper there than I can find it anywhere in San Antonio or on-line. It wasn't that much cheaper but I did save a couple of dollars.

You won't have to sell the family for it but you may need to save a couple of nickels before you go pick it up.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
If the authoritis in my hands ever gets to where I cannot carry a 1911, I believe the XD will be my choice.
Good review.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's funny that you mentioned the LCP, because I am in the process of trying to get one of those too. No where can keep 'em in stock. There are long waiting lists too. One of these days I'll have one, and then when the 9mm version of the xdm comes out, I'll sell one of my son's kidneys and pick up a nice two tone one.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Oops, I forgot to mention, one of the guys working at the shop said that he heard from SA today that the 9mm version will be coming out in October. I have no idea if this is true (until today, I have been told January), but that would be nice. I won't be able to get one that soon but hey.......

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
They are not XDm's...just plain XD's but I have bought 2 in the past couple of weeks. A 45 Compact for my wife and 45 Tactical for me.

We like the feel of the grips better on the XD's (the XDm grip texture just isn't right for us) and everybody here carries 45acp's to simplify the reloading process.

My wife's 45 Compact...

My 45 Tactical...

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife thought that my 1911 was too big and heavy for her and the recoil a little too much so I bougtht her an XDm9. We both love it. MTICop was right, these things are incredibly accurate. The biggest selling point for the gun is the feel of the grip in your hand. It almost feels like it was made specifically for your hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.