1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From The Shooting Wire:

No Longer Just Paranoia
For months, anyone who's proffered the position that the Obama Administration was anti-gun has been dismissed as being a variety of things, from sore loser to rampant paranoid. Nonetheless, since assuming office, members of the Obama administration have steadily- and stealthily- moved against firearms and ammunition.

Their only public blunder was Attorney General Holder's saying the "assault weapons ban" needed to be reinstated. Quickly, House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi - no friend of gun owners - went on record as opposing Holder's suggestion. She went as far as to parrot the words of pro-gun groups, saying the government should enforce the laws on the books today, rather than introducing new laws.

At the same time, the State Department notified Canadian authorities of plans to issue an export ban on "military caliber ammunition" to Canada. That proposed action would prevent the sales of .223, .308 and other military calibers.

When Canadian authorities protested - and notified several members of the American media, the U.S. State Department suddenly went silent. But they quietly reinstated other rules and charges firearms exports-retroactively.

While it seemed they had been headed off on one proposal, they had actually drawn attention away from other actions. If you're into incrementalism, that translates as a win.

Anything passed brings the ultimate goal that much closer.

Last Friday, the anglers and hunters were notified that the National Park Service planned to make all lands under their control totally lead-free by 2010. No lead in ammo or fishing tackle.

As we report in today's Outdoor Wire, that decision has kicked off howls of protests - and questions about the NPS trying to usurp states' rights by issuing their unilateral decision with no prior notification. It's definitely not going to be a decision without some serious discussions. That still doesn't mean the NPS will back off on their decision.

All these things are racing along on parallel tracks. Now, many observers - and not just those on the pro-gun side of the discussion - believe the country is hurtling toward a confrontation.

The catalyst might be any one of several flashpoint issues, but both groups seem to believe a reckoning is unavoidable.

For months, I've gotten reports of everything from re-tasking of military heavy assault units for domestic violence scenarios to calls for "committees of correspondence" designed to spread news the way word was spread by citizens of the then-British colonies.

In each instance, I've discounted the reports as internet hysteria that has produced breathless notices of "the real-deal on the new assault weapon ban"- or references to HR45 - a gun registration bill that is a prime example of "eyewash legislation". It's purpose has already been achieved.

Part of that discounting has been due to the fact that hot-blooded rhetoric seems to run along with firearms ownership.

To the chagrin of industry officials, there's never a shortage of people willing to go on camera, get red-faced and spout "from my cold dead hands" phrases.

Admittedly, those people concern me, but more for their reinforcement of a negative stereotype to people who have no opinion one way or the other on firearms.

Today, however, a report that has nothing to do with rhetoric, hyperbole or rumor.

A very disturbing report that points to a very real assault on ammunition supplies.

The Department of Defense has issued a directive that bans the sale of military brass to ammunition re-manufacturers.

Without that brass, a very large dent is put into civilian ammunition supplies.

New Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS) requirements call for the "mutilation of shell casings". Mutilation, incidentally, is the destruction of the property "to the extent that prevents its reuse or reconstruction".

Government officials will determine what constitutes "sufficient mutilation" but it's safe to say that it will no longer be suitable for remanufacturing.

The first word of this latest decision came over the weekend when Georgia Arms' Larry Haynie released a letter notifying him of the new requirement.

For a company with an order in for 30,000 pounds of expended military brass in .223, .308 and .50 BMG, that was not a pleasant notification.

Georgia Arms was remanufacturing more than one million rounds of .223 ammunition monthly; selling that ammo on the civilian market to resellers and to government agencies all over the country.

Tomorrow, Georgia Arms will start sending cancellation notices for .223 ammunition to law enforcement agencies across the United States. Haynie says he may have to layoff half of his sixty-person workforce.

More here

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I'm only replying to say that I can't (in good form) say what I think about this.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
It pays to be mad and motivated....we got that order rescinded today. This is fact...not fiction, our phone calls, emails, and letters made the difference...keep them flowing. Now is NOT the time to let our guard down.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/
"Dear Loyal Customers,
Thanks to your voice, DOD has rescinded the order to mutilate all spent cases as of 4:30 pm on 3/17/09. We appreciate the time and effort that you expended, together we all made a difference. We will be posting the email we received from DOD as well as any additional information within the next 12-16 hours. Thanks so much and lets get to work!!! Georgia Arms"

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
it wasn't this admin that did it.
it was the previous admin if I'm reading this right.

in part from the DoD statement

DLA also put to rest various theories and rumors that were circulated on the internet, concerning the reason for the suspension. As DLA explained to Senators Baucus and Tester, and to NRA-ILA, DoD officials responsible for the demilitarization of military property temporarily halted the release of the cartridge cases last week, pending review of a policy change**issued last year**by the Office of the Secretary of Defense, which, in the interest of national security, halted the sale of items within a broad category of government property including, but not limited to, surplus small arms cartridge cases.

a policy change**issued last year**by the Office of the Secretary of Defense

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suspect George will continued to be blamed for everything from warts to dust storms to AIG failing. The liberals and the media's constant badgering came very close to breaking his spirit. I suspect a lesser man would have broken.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
I don't disagree with you, TJ

but as a Libertarian that doesn't see much difference is either of the two parties, I see plenty hype from both sides.

Just pointing out that it wasn't the current administration that issued the directive.

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right...
And if Libertarians and other so-called conservatives had come down from their ivory tower and voted for McCain maybe we wouldn't be in this mess.

NOBODY came to the aid of President Bush during the 7 years of media attacks... NOBODY!
I'm surprised he kept his composure as well as he did. OK, he may have made a misstep or two, but we're paying the price for the stubborness of 'conservatives' and others, that either supported the charlatan, of just stayed home and didn't vote.

We got what we deserved.

Just pointing that out...

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Libertarians are only half conservative, conservative fiscally but socially they have nothing in common with republicans. Most vote republican though. Don't blame libertarians for mccain not getting elected put the blame where it belongs, republicans. What did they do when they had the house and senate? Nothing, that's why they got the boot.

Bob Barr got 0.4% of the vote so the libertarian party DID NOT back their candidate, I would guess most DID vote for mccain.

So it was republicans that failed to get their own party in line, core conservative republicans did not back mccain.

Blaming libertarians is misguided.

........and yes, republicans reaped what they planted it's unfortunate obama benefited from it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I wasn't blaming Libertarians per se. I'm just upset at all the so-called 'differences of opinion' from the Right!

I was blaming ALL so called conservatives for the catastrophe. The Right was so fractured that they couldn't even come to consensus for a candidate and the RINO, McCain, slid in under the fence!

Bush Bashing became a national sport. Remember?
He was taking as much flak from the Right as he was from the Left!
He was being blamed for everything!

I so remember Ron Paul supporters being SO very angry! And I remember other 'conservatives' dissing Mr. Paul with great zeal!
I remember nearly every conservative shouting down Romney, Huckabee and Thompson as well.

I had to hold my nose to vote for McCain, and I freely admit it gave me a sour stomach.
But, I DID vote! I didn't stay home!
:flag:

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I agree on pretty much all of that, it would have been impossible to get everyone behind paul though, he didn't have a chance. His supporter took far more from mccain than libertarians did. Not that mccain was remotely the best choice.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Don't blame libertarians for mccain not getting elected put the blame where it belongs, republicans. What did they do when they had the house and senate? Nothing, that's why they got the boot.

egg-zacccally

they talked a good line, but in reality they gave a blank check to the fool neo-con policy of the previous administration.
It wasn't til year 6-7 of the Bush administration did the Reps in congress grow a pair.
Too little too late by then

I'm conservative by nature, Libertarian by choice.
i assure you I have no love for Obama.
But I don't have a problem calling a spade a spade either.

..L.T.A.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Bush Bashing became a national sport. Remember?
He was taking as much flak from the Right as he was from the Left!

:
not til near the end of his administration.
Til then all the talking head party sluts made excuses and rationalized his fool policy.

It was about the time he nominated Harriet Meyers for Supreme Court that some started saying "enough is enough"
about the same time he was going to sell our shipping ports to a Middle East entity, remember?

WTF is wrong with that picture? :eek:

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I think republicans have yet to grow a pair, it really needs to happen.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
not til near the end of his administration.
Til then all the talking head party sluts made excuses and rationalized his fool policy.

It was about the time he nominated Harriet Meyers for Supreme Court that some started saying "enough is enough"
about the same time he was going to sell our shipping ports to a Middle East entity, remember?

WTF is wrong with that picture? :eek:

..L.T.A.
Your selective amnesia is showing Cap.
Mr. Bush was first vilified at the very beginning, by the left, for 'stealing' the 2000 election.

Everyone wanted Osama's head on a stick! and was quite willing to publically say so! Al Qaeda was THE ENEMY!
And they were EVERYWHERE! You're kidding your self it you still believe they were not in Iraq.

Then, when nearly everyone in Congress agreed that Saddam had to go because he had WMDs(it's public record) we invaded Iraq.
Now understand that ANY invasion would not have happened if THE CONGRESS didn't agree with it!
Nothing happens without The Congress saying or doing something about it!
If they don't want to fund it, there will be NO money, PERIOD!

When the WMDs were shipped out of the country before the invasion, Mr. Bush had 'egg on his face', but so did The Congress.
They quickly began to piont fingers at Bush, and retreated from their earlier support to the mantra 'Bush lied, Soldiers died'!

This is when The Right began to criticize The President and join the cacophony from the Left.
It started long before the Harriet Meyers deal.

The Right was pissed about The Patriot Act, the Left was pissed about The Patriot Act. The Right was pissed about his immigration policy, the Left was pissed about the war. Don't you remember Dingy Harry saying 'the was was lost'?

Yeah, there's plenty of blame to go around...
But never before had a sitting President been so villified by both parties and both Liberals and Conservatives alike!

Like I said, he took flak from everyone!

Don't get me wrong, he could have done a better job, but considering that during most of his tenure in office, he had very few supporters... it was remarkable that he kept us safe!

I've often wondered what would have happened if we had not been attacked on 9/11?
What would have happened if The President had received support from his own party?
What would have happened if The President didn't make the choice to 'not respond' to his critics because he felt it 'belittled the office'?

America hung George Bush out to dry, plain and simple. We're now paying the price for not presenting a unified front to defeat The Left.

In my book, ANYONE that did not vote for McCain, and ANYONE that chose not to vote, has this current crisis squarely on their shoulders. For those that fit in these 2 categories, I pray that your conscious is kind to you, for this is surely an issue that clould have been avoided!

God help us all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.