Taurus Warranty (OR Lack Thereof) | 1911 Forums at 1911Talk.com

Taurus Warranty (OR Lack Thereof)

Discussion in 'Taurus Pt1911' started by madshark, Feb 11, 2013.

1. madshark

madshark New Member

I have owned 3 Taurus PT1911's, a Kimber, a Colt and a Springfield Armory. The Tauruses outshoot all of them I have owned. I absolutely loved my Taurus 1911s until today, when I had to deal with Taurus' customer service department (or what they call one).

Problem with this pistol is that the little lobe on the end of the slide stop broke off, rendering it non operational. It still held the pistol together, but would not stop the slide after the last round.

Today, I called Taurus to exercise my "Lifetime Warranty" Taurus so proudly spouts off about all over their website. First, I had to stay on hold for 48 minutes (some clown claiming to be President of Taurus did leave a message telling me my wait could be as long as an hour or more). How nice. I guess that's an alternative to hiring enough customer service people.

Then it gets better. I finally get a human on the phone. After giving her all the pertinent information, she places me back on hold to find the part. 12 minutes later she's back. And informs me that it will only be $24.18 for the part delivered to my home. I asked about the warranty and she said that only applies if I send them the pistol. Keep in mind that this is the part you pull to take the pistol down.

I have had to get parts for Thompson Center Contenders and for a Remington 700 on warranties. In all cases the parts were sent with no problem (and at no cost).

As much as I love my Taurus 1911, this absolute fail on the part of their customer service department will likely make this my last Taurus product.

The best product on the planet is only as good as the word of the manufacturer and Taurus' word is crap.

2. Super Trucker

Super Trucker
    Staff Member Forum Supporter

I bought a millennium handgun back in the early 90's and after 200 rounds the frame cracked. It was quite a production dealing with their cs department, I will never buy another of their products and try to tell others to look elsewhere as well.

3. madshark

madshark New Member

Waited two weeks for my slide stop that cost me $25 when the pistol is supposed to have a lifetime warranty )Btw I found the identical item at Miday USA for $4.99). So, having not received the part, I called Taurus to find out what's up.

A lady answered the phone who has probably never handled a firearm in ther life. She explained to me that a slidestop on a 1911 is a restricted part. To replace it would require disassembly to a level that would void the warranty on the pistol. I asked her to just refund my money and I would buy it elsewhere. She said that was not possible. I said I would call my bank and have them reverse the charges and hung up.

I thought it was over. But not. I then get a call from some clown telling me I was out of line for being upset because I could not get the part or my money back. I asked this guy if he has ever owned a 1911. He said yes. I asked him how he removes the slide on his. He explained that he removes the barrel bushing, slides out the guide rod and spring, then pushes out the magazine release to unlink the barrel. I stopped him and said that its a slide stop he pushes out and that's what I need. He finally agreed to ship the thing to me.

Again, I will say, a product is only as good as the company behind it and Taurus International is not worth a damn. I'll never own another Taurus product and would encourage y'all to do likewise.

4. tel76

tel76 New Member

Tarus is OK If you replace a few parts.The slide stop should be checked. Check the barrel link and the fit to the slide and barrel.

5. tel76

tel76 New Member

never used the warranty. If you know 1911 owners they have a sack full of parts to start with .Small things don't bother. Cheaper to fix on you'r own than go through the warranty and send it to them and get it back after waiting several weeks
    .But if you need to send it back get a return lable from them!

6. CallMaker

CallMaker New Member

I purchased a used PT 1911 in .38 Super. At the range I found it was impossible to adjust the sights to zero windage at 7 yards. called Taurus and the said "Send it back" for repair. Turns out it's not repairable. So the sent me a new PT1911. Not bad for it being a pistol I bought used.

I'm pretty happy with their warranty and customer service.

Jennifers likes this.
  7. Jennifers

Jennifers New Member

All this whining about Taurus CS being so bad, obviously you have not dealt with Ruger, Kimber, or Henry. Try those and then tell me about Taurus!

8. Super Trucker

Super Trucker
    Staff Member Forum Supporter

I've dealt with Kimber, they were not anywhere near as bad a Taurus.
    Ruger and Henry I've never had a bad product from so I know nothing about their customer service.
    I am certain Taurus is the absolute worse I've ever dealt with. They make cheap, low quality guns which I knew when I bought it, what I didn't know was it had to be sent to south america to be fixed if there were problems, not to mention the long distance calls out of the country.