1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Things I have come to terms with in regards to the PT1911’s and would like to share for the benefit of a new purchaser.

1. They are perfect and then you will still customize them to suit your needs/taste (this applies to many 1911s).
2. The lifetime warranty is great unless you modify it ( though, you may have to wait awhile for you gun to come back). In which case, who cares, it’s your gun. Any qualified gun smith can take care of your gun.
3. MIM is not a dirty word. If it were then Kimber, Springfield, Smith & Wesson and “insert any other brand that uses MIM parts” would not sell as well as they do.
4. It’s a great utilitarian pistol. If the finish wears, so what. It can be refinished to your liking next time around.
5. Shoots as good as you do.
6. Forged frame, slide and barrel
7. Built on a solid and proven platform (seems everyone and their mother makes a 1911, except Ruger and CZ(?))

Thought it was true over a year ago, that the value of the PT1911 made it a worthy purchase given it’s features. I still feel that even at todays prices it’s still a great buy. At present I own a Springfield GI which is a great gun to compare it to being that they are both of Brazilian manufacture. My GI has a great fit and finish, feels solid and looks great (still haven’t shot it yet.) They both use MIM parts ( I just wish I knew to what extent). The GI is a bit cheaper than the Taurus, but I have seen them as low as $519.

This post is really for the guys who are still on the fence about buying a PT1911. While I will concur that there are many, many good quality 1911’s (new and used) out in the market. I firmly believe that this particular Taurus is indeed one of them. Over the last year I have read a vast number of testimonials from first time 1911 buyers like myself to seasoned veterans who decided to add this working man’s gun to their fold. As many others have told me in the past “any company can turn out a gun with flaws”.

As for me, I own two, 1 blued and 1 stainless. If Taurus come out with their commander I may have to look under my couch cushions for some spare change. The blued one is my daily sidekick and I trust it with my life. I’ve put over 800 flawless rounds though it and look forward to putting more. So for those who like the PT1911 but are on the fence, I say go for it. It’s a pretty decent gun for the price, enjoy!

*Will be posted on a couple of forums I figure some go out of there way to post the negatives, so why not post the positives for a change.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree, mine cost me $445 plus tax and $8 background check about a year ago. I got my first 1911 at age 18 when I was issued one by the U.S. Army that was over 50 years ago. Have had them over the years and many different models from Gold Cups to to GI. All great wish I had kept them all. When I started back a few years ago went with a Sprringfield Loaded, nice pistol. My Daughter took it, now what so I bought a PT1911, great pistol love it. Does everything I want. Going to pick up a Series 70 Colt Commander tomorrow, after that I don't know what else. At my age, 2 is probably enough. Yeah right.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Good post and only beef i have is the MIM .. All i will say is you will learn one day ,.. hopefully when you don't need to protect yourself..

And sure kimber springer and smith will use MIM its CHEAP.. and has a track record of breaking especially in Kimber.. wish i had a camera today as there was a older colt XSE with a broken thumb safety and yep it was MIM ...

Around here the Taurus seems to be 619$ for black everyone else seeing the increase?

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Built on a solid and proven platform (seems everyone and their mother makes a 1911, except Ruger and CZ(?))
Actually CZ owns Dan Wesson.

Bud,the black one is still $519 here. The stainless was more,I don't remember how much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great value UNTIL it breaks, which my SS has now done twice in <400 rounds. Then you get introduced to Taurus CS or the lack thereof.

I love the pistol, it's a great shooter and deadly accurate. Comfortable and the Heine sights worked well for me. I just can't stand the 6 weeks it take them to repair it and the poor repairs that they perform.

I hope you all have better luck with yours than I did with mine. I can never see myself relying on it for protection.

It's going back again and I have demanded a full refund from the factory. I'll probably wind up with a new pistol knowing them, but if so, I will just sell it.

Hopefully, my new SW 1911 will be reliable. What can I say? I'm a 1911 "ho". Bet you can't own just one!!

RMD

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Great value UNTIL it breaks, which my SS has now done twice in <400 rounds. Then you get introduced to Taurus CS or the lack thereof.
That has not been my experience with Taurus...my wife has a Model 911 ( http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=353&category=Pistol )
It had a crappy trigger and shot 4 inches low at 15 yards...Taurus paid shipping both ways...and sent it back with a trigger every bit as sweet as my Les Baer and it now shoots POA...and it only took 2 weeks.

Its a bit too flashy for me...but that is a sweet lil pistol...it can be cocked and locked or decocked....

Don't laugh...it was her first CCW piece. Now she has an EMP, a Glock 26, a Bersa 380, and a subcompact XD....:eek:...Dammit...she has more pistols than I do. :mad:

Reactions: Bigmax

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Don't feel bad, my wife owns more guns than me. Until I got my Colt Gunsite, she also had "more expensive" guns than me too. Tracy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a PT1911 and I love it too. I have well over 1000 rounds through it as I shoot it in IDPA and it is a great gun. It is more accurate then I am. That said I also have a Kimber, 2 Paras, SA, and have a Damascus Slide custom being built for me my Kase Reeder. I'm a 1911 whore. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have SS pt1911. I have put over 1500 rounds through it, with out a hiccup. The first 500 with out cleaning it, just to see how it did. I use it also in IDPA, and as one of my CC weapons. Yes I have complete faith in it as a carry weapon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just snagged some mixed ammo - Winchester & RP, It seemed like the gun did not like them mixed in a mag, keep them separate no problem, mix them, no good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to forum Got my PT1911 around Christmas an just now really starting to mess with it. I got a crimson red laser grip set comming for it. I pulled the Ambidextrious Safty and installed a Left hand one is there anything else I need to do before I can install the Laser grip?? Bob my buddy told me the sight is set at around 50 ft I hope I can get it to do better than that. I also have a Hy Standard 1911 that was made in the PI. I ordered all my goodies from e-bay ,Just installed and started shooting like all good 45s this sounds like stuff is about to fall out when you shake it but ist shoots well and faithful to a fault.Iguess that I'm one of those people that just got to try it my way but so far I have out standind luck with both of these guns.I put a Kimber 22Cal set up on the PT1911 and the hammer hits the rearsight just enough that it will cause it not to fire But if I put it on the ole HS it goes every time so i need to get a new hammer or else file the sight on the kimber to get the clearance. I'm really wanting to see what this laser sight will do . Yeznatea

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....congrats. Tracy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdyhowdy, my first post. I have 2 pt1911's also. A standard blue one with a Marvel 22 conversion for practice, and a ss model w/rail that I shoot USPSA with every month. Love them both. The triggers are comparable to my Kimber. A few weeks ago, I told the wife I was thinking of selling one of the pt's and buying a STI for competition. She made a point-Why? I always tell her how much I like the Taurus and I always do well at the matches with it. I've installed Truglo TFO sights on the comp gun and will eventually replace the fcg to get rid of the mim parts.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Howdyhowdy, my first post. I have 2 pt1911's also. A standard blue one with a Marvel 22 conversion for practice, and a ss model w/rail that I shoot USPSA with every month. Love them both. The triggers are comparable to my Kimber. A few weeks ago, I told the wife I was thinking of selling one of the pt's and buying a STI for competition. She made a point-Why? I always tell her how much I like the Taurus and I always do well at the matches with it. I've installed Truglo TFO sights on the comp gun and will eventually replace the fcg to get rid of the mim parts.

Welcome to the forum.....2009 join date, what took you so long to post?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am on too many forums, forgot about some of the ones I am registered on. I also got in a rut monitoring a few sites and fb. I am currently at home letting a broken pelvis mend, so I have plenty of time on my hands to websurf and am going through my favorites list. I plan on making it one that I frequent. But I am more of a reader than a poster, so I might be pretty quiet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm just abou to buy my first 1911. I found a PT1911 today at my local gun store. The gun was on consignment and the owner was there. He has put illuminated sights on it and a new extractor and barrel bushing and new recoil spring and barrel lug with a recoil compensator on the barrel. The guy said with the parts and labor he has put in it he has around $1000 in it. It is a stainless model and looks like new but he had a gunsmith do all the mods and stuff. It also has a new firing pin and white pearl grips. I got it for $525. I know you can get a new one for around that but I really like the way this one is setup and with all the stuff he has done to it. My gunstore owner said the guy who did the work is first class. Like I said it was in the case next to a new one and you couldnt' tell them apart. He has the box and papers and both mags. What do yall think?? email me at [email protected] Thanks in advance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts