1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only long guns are in .22. This is an area new to me. Anyone own one? I was told the Howa M1500 action is identical to a Model 700. I am looking for a long range gun for 100+ yard target shooting. Most likely in .308. My indoor range about 3 miles from my house allows up to .308, closest outdoor range with 300 yard rifle is about an hour away.

Any other suggestions, thanks.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
M1A ...

Any bolt gun now adays with a good trigger will group good

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bud- I have also been looking at a M1A, my local shop has a Loaded Black Fiber lightly used on consignment, for $1525. Is accuracy on a Semi different than a bolt action. I thought closed bolt was always the most accurate.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The M1a are pretty dang accurate

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
M1A's are very accurate,and most 20+" AR rifles will hold their own with bolt guns in .308 or .223.

If your only punching paper at 200 yards or under then you probably don't need a .308. .223 will be plenty accurate and it costs a little less to boot.

I speak from experience here,I've got a Savage 10FP in .308 and with ammo costs I kinda wish I had gone with .223...especially since I can hold the same groups at 100 yards with my friend's Bushmaster Dissipator! He does have a scope on it...kind of odd to scope a carbine like that,but it's a lot of fun to shoot!

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Oh yeah,one more thing...shooting rifles indoors at 25 yards is not really much fun,or much of a challenge. It's also pretty uncomfortable,no matter how much hearing protection you have on.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Grab and AR and toss a scope on it, the .223 ammo is cheap and they are a lot of fun to play with :)

The M1A would be a great choice as well, it is definatly on my "to Get" list.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I wanna put a Scope on my M1A and the AR or maybe a red dot on a AR as at 100 yards a red dot should work just fine

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Careful Bud,you know as well as anyone that you get what you pay for. We put a cheap Tasco red dot on the Bushmaster and you couldn't see the dot against the targets in bright daylight.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I wasnt gonna go cheap either the burris fastfire or a bushnell holosight..

Wonder if a green dot would fix that problem ..

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I have a long list of wants. I was thinking the .308 in a long range target rifle and eventually a carbine in .223

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I've done some long range shooting...I like popping yotes waaaaay out there. Mine are 308's on Remington 700 actions...but a 243 is better as long as you get the 1 in 9" twist.
Remington barrels are 1 in 9" from the factory...Winchesters are 1 in 10". This is because of the 244 Remington (6mm Rem) fiasco...when they first came out they had a 1 in 12" twist (I think), and it was a total failure because it would not stabilize the heavier bullets suited to deer hunting....so Remington renamed it the 6mm Remington (even though it was the EXACT same round) and bored their rifles with a faster twist than Winchesters...and PRESTO...its excellent with the 100 - 105 grain bullets. I prefer the 100's myself... on top of 42.6 grains of Reloder 19.

Even better still is the 260 Rem...this will be my next rifle purchase (or build)

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Synergy, if you're wanting great out-of-the-box accuracy, look into the Savage line. A number of riflemen think they are the best OTB.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would have to agree with OD on the savages, I own a remington 700 and is shoots very well but the savage is less expensive and you get a very nice rifle for your money.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I agree that Savage has some VERY good firearms (even better than a factory Remington)...but they are not always cheaper. Mine are not Remington rifles...they are just Remington actions. Again...Savage is just as good from what I hear...and I believe it.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I don't know how many here remember Lee Jurras, the father of today's high-performance self-defence ammunition (Super Vel), but he builds his 1000yd rifles on Savages.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I don't know how many here remember Lee Jurras, the father of today's high-performance self-defence ammunition (Super Vel), but he builds his 1000yd rifles on Savages.
I remember him...now that you mentioned him anyway.

To change the subject a little...the 243 has better downrange performance than the 308 (I just recently figured this out myself...the hard way). Its my theory that the 260 Remington is better than both...but I'm pretty sure I'm right (numbers rarely lie).

If you want a 308...by all means get one....it will work. I been shooting them for years...but I'm just throwing out some info that some people haven't warmed up to yet...but its true...and I can show the numbers to prove it.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I think the savage adjustable trigger seem might nice

1 - 20 of 28 Posts