1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked for the Annual production #s in responce to someone else on another forum .. These are 2006 #'s as 07 isnt out yet

these are only hand gun #'s

Smith Wesson 223,017
Ruger 100,976
Kimber 60,618

Now Compare to

Wilson Combat 2043
Nighthawk Custom 1238
Les Baer 1655
Ed Brown 845

Amazing no ?

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/stats/afmer/afmer2006.pdf

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't say as i have has they don't make leftys ... Even so how many you think they sell at the price .. i just went and looked it up

·
Registered
203 Posts
No idea, but at the SHOT Show, their primary showpieces are the rifles. I'll bet a great amount of Brown and Wilson's income is from parts.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say you are correct also those #'s are pistols only not including wheelies

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well here is Rifles from same report not including shotguns of course

Wilson 333 there are 2 listing for wilsons in AR but different addys so not sure if the same so i didnt include the other #

Ruger ?????? 6?? must be a test build at that location since ruger is listed twice
Ruger 196,466

Stag 22120
Marlin 226,761
Smith Wesson 4,650
Ed Brown 197
Remington 172,034

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
It is amazing.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
But CZ (I'm assuming that's DW,since I didn't see Dan Wesson) had 1383. That not really a whole lot. Les Baer built more than DW?:thinking:

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
That's not suprising, I believe Keith posted on another board they put out something like 100 a month as they are a small operation and they do one line at a time. DW is almost a cult gun, I had to run the 10mm cbob I sold on gunbroker several times and when it did sell it sold really low. I think the same thing happened to you with the aussie, which is actually considered a desirable model among dw followers. There are avid followers on some of the forums, but in the scheme of things they are still pretty well a secret and that's evidenced by being somewhat difficult to sell.

Those are overall some suprising figures on the list though.

Rock river arms 252 (pistols)
detonics 211

These here ARE the custom guys, wilson, baer, etc. are the "semi customs".

Gemini customs 5
clark custom guns 17
Cylinder & slide 25

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Maybe I can ask Marc Morganti,but how does that work if you're a custom shop like Gemini Customs? I know he does custom work (excellent work,I might add) but if he were to build it off a bare Caspian frame that would make it his,right? No matter whose name is on the frame?

Maybe I'll shoot him an email.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'm not sure how that works Zero, but I would guess that it's only the ones where you have your own serial numbers. The reason I say that is that I could buy a caspian frame, build a custom gun on it and it would probably be reported as a caspian build. My name would not be on the list as having a build.

I'm not certain, it would probably be best to ask him.

Check this out. Caspian has 1408 builds listed and as far as I know they don't build any complete guns. I'm guessing those are anyone that build on a caspian frame and places like gemini probably had some caspian builds. I was wondering why I didn't see chuck rogers and some of the others on the list, probably they build on caspians and maybe others.

What I said above about DW was also not a ding on them, but rather a statement on the amount of guns they produce and how they are still not reall well known in the grand scope of things (1911's anyway).

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as i understand it would be the frame makers as they are the one who have to register the frame.. ask marc i will be intrested in the answer also

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Well I shot him an email...we'll see what he has to say.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Here's his reply,

Hello John

The ATF numbers reflect my number of actual "manufactured" pistols during that year. These were my full house units, built from the ground up using a newly manufactured frame.

These numbers are reported every year to the ATF on a Government form as required of all 07 licensees.

All serial numbers are installed by the actual manufacturer of the frame, i.e. Caspian, Briley, Colt, etc. (there are hundreds)

We could technically install a serial number on a firearm, but it is only done with the permission, and supervision of the ATF, and only done in cases where a serial number is non existent or possibly damaged etc. In otherwords "there better be a darn good compelling reason to replace a serial number"!!!!

Like most Government related red tape processes, this serial number will be what "they" assign to it. There would have to be a damn good reason to go through this process, as it is a huge pain in the ass.

Hope this helps.

Marc
And now we know.:cool:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thats what i thought .. i have heard the serial # deal was a real pain .. you have to track every # and if any are damaged you have to show that # as destroyed

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did I miss something? Where are Colt's and SA's numbers??
yeah they are in the report if you click the link and look

but

Colt 15,613

SA 7,153

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interesting.

I would have guessed the Ed Brown rifle figure to be even lower. That figure is about 1 for every 4 handguns, while I would have guessed more like 1 to 15 or 1 to 20.

I also notice that Stag Arms' numbers look pretty high...
I bet a lot of those were the early S&W M&P 15s that Stag made for S&W.

Colt made twice the guns as SA? OK with me, but kind of a surprise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bud,
As an individual makes more money he spends a smaller percentage of his money on necessities. Lately the rich are getting richer. If you are a custom maker with a "luxury brand" name your bound make out ok in times like these. On the other end of it I suspect the less expensive brands like Springfield Armory are also doing well for the same reason. The middle class guy is spending a larger percentage of his money on fuel and feeding his family and is less likely to buy a Colt when he can do with less and still protect his family.
SW

1 - 19 of 19 Posts