1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the 1911 world. I recently bought a M1911A1 RIA in nickel. I only have 100 rds. through it, I already like it! My gun shop has a RIA Super 38
in black for $405.00 plus tax. I do not know much about the round. I have been told it is the first "Magnum". And Colt came out with it in the 30's. It appears they are inexpensive rounds, @ $19.00 per 50. At this point I believe it would be a range gun. Do not know if it would be the right choice for carry.
I am not sure about having to stock up on another round! Any comments would be appreciated. D

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
.38 is an awesome round. It is super powerfull for its size. The foot punds on target near that of a 45. It is not the cheepest ammo by far. I reloas it. It is what I and a whole lot of others use to shoot competition. Recoil is less than 45 so you can get back on target quicker and you can make major with it in same competitions. Try it, you will like it. Mirando

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
They are .356 as is 9MM. However, my gun seems to shot better with .357 sized bullets when I use LRN, MK

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry Mirando,but actually in terms of defensive rounds.....Supers typicly hit harder than .45's. Ammo is VERY EXPENSIVE. I have found Fiocchi as low as $16.50 per.,but Winchester and Remingtons can run from $26-$38 per. The .38Super is very well known for it's very high chamber pressures,ergo very high feet per second numbers,ergo very flat trejectory. Which means she's very accurate over greater distances,and retains higher impact forces at greater distances.Just follow this link,it might help.http://www.38super.net/index.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info end encouragement. I brought it home last night. I am looking forward to getting it to the range. I hope I can stop at 2 1911's. It only took a little over a month after the first one was purchased, to add another.

d524ax

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I am very into .38 super. If you read the ballistics it falls just short of the .45 at foot per pound of energy. Yes is expensive, however I reload it and it almost as cheep as 9mm. The expense is getting the brass. Projectiles are the same price as 9mm and it just takes a few more grains of powder then 9mm. The extra power make a hell of a difference and it is very accurate. Just goole .38 super. There are tons of info on it. I shoot about 25K rounds of it yearly, Mirando

·
Registered
394 Posts
The RIA 38 Super is a great gun, and the round is awesome. I have 750 rds in my cabinet now with 450 thru the gun and have not paid more than $16 per box for Rem UMC or Armscor. While this is not cheap, it`s not much more than 45 ACP. I am saving my brass to reload at some time in the future. The accuracy of this gun right out of the box is nothing short of fantastic. The only thing I`d recommend immediately is to change the recoil spring....the factory spring may not be all that good. Get Wolff springs in either 14 or 16 lb and you should be good to go. Congratulations and happy shooting.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
The recommended spring for a .38super ( from STI ) is 12 pounds. I would not go over 14. Keep in mind that I have a longslide, but I still use a 5 inch spring, MK

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
'scuuze me fellas, but doesn't 9mm use a .355 dia jacketed bullet?
38 super uses .356

I re-loadeded both bullets for my 38super, but get better accuracy with the .356.

congrats on your new gun and cal
as has been mentioned, SAVE your brass.

you asked what cal for defense.
as far as "I'M" concerned, it would the 45 hands down.

However, I'd recommend you use what ever gun is "first and foremost" dead nuts RELIABLE, (that takes several hundred MALF free rounds down range)
and second, the one you can shoot the best with speed and accuracy

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
38 super is by the book .355 however I also use .356 jacketed and will use a .357 if I load lead. I also get better accuracy with a .356. MK

·
Registered
143 Posts
38 super is by the book .355 however I also use .356 jacketed and will use a .357 if I load lead. I also get better accuracy with a .356. MK
I'm curious,and genuinely don't know.....but why is it that .356 gives you better accuracy than .355? I'm only guessing here,but I've always thought that .355 = less resistance through the bore(faster) but will allow more gas to escape around the bullet on the way out. .356 = more resistance,but traps the propellant behind it better. If I'm right about those,then could it be fair to say also that a .355 was lighter on recoil??(probably not enough to notice,but technically)

ck.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Well Cody, I dont really know for sure but I was guessing that it got a better seal and/or bite on the rifleing. But I am only guessing. I know that when I shoot it with .356 I have much better accuracy. I know guess that shoot .357 in 38 supers but I feel no need to, MK

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd kinda think with the high chamber pressures,.357 might be just enough to push a barrel a weee bit to far. Do you use the same powder/burn rate/and volume when you load .355's and .356's ????

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Yup. And I always load toward the max. My accurracy is great too. See my target on the STI tread, Mirando

·
Registered
394 Posts
The recommended spring for a .38super ( from STI ) is 12 pounds. I would not go over 14. Keep in mind that I have a longslide, but I still use a 5 inch spring, MK
Say guys, run what you like for springs but all of the information I have found (and read here on this site) indicates that the standard 5 inch .38 Super recoil spring rate is 14 lb. I just went to the 16 lb since all I`m shooting is +P ammo at a minimum of 1250 fps. If you are shooting1050 to 1100 fps ammo the 12 or 14 lb springs will probably do fine. The factory spring (whatever it really was) allowed spent casings to fly up to 30 ft away. Now they are back in the 12 to 15 ft range. Good luck and enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I dont know if you are loading or not. If you are buying factory 38 super then I should tell you that all modern .38 super is marked Plus P. They do this so it is not confused with 38 auto. You dont want to shoot a .38 super in a .38 auto pistol as it is not strong enough to handle a 38 super round. You can load a 38 super to true plus P if you desirer however there is only a few load data on it. If is normaly loaded with Winchester WST I believe. If you google 38 super there will lots of info on it and it is a real eye opener. There is a complete history of it on google, Mirando

·
Premium Member
751 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took the RIA .38 super to the range today. It was a nice suprise! First 4 rounds were in the center of the target, but about 2 inches low. From then on, all were on the bullseye. Thank you guys encouraging me to purchase it. I have found ammo here in the St. Louis suburbs range from $15.00 to $26.00 a box. Only found 4 shops that stock it. Luckily the closest one has it for $15.00 a box. I did save my brass, just in case I ever decide to reload.

D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.