1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question…

As an option for home defense, I was wondering what the stance is on keeping loaded magazines?

Do you keep a magazine loaded and ready to go at all times? Do you rotate magazines to preserve spring life? Will a spring wear out if put in a constant state of compression?

I am just wondering if it would be better to keep a revolver as a home defense option as there would be no mechanical stress to sitting around with a loaded cylinder?

Before you start the lectures, all firearms are kept in a locked, quick access safe….

Let the opinions fly!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
The way I understand springs is compressed or uncompressed makes no difference, what does wear them out is continous use.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Cycling of the mag springs is what wears them out....not constant compression, either loaded or unloaded. So keep them loaded as long as you like.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Its the use that wears them out the loading and unloading

·
Registered
188 Posts
Roger what the above intelligetsia stated. Without blindning you with a lot of boring science, springs to take a "set" but will lose no appreciable elasticity, or tension whether compressed or extended.
I keep two carry mags at-the-ready, at all times. They get shot empty every other month. One is in the gun, the other stays in one of a few mag pouches. Once a month I shoot up the one in the gun, just to ward off bullet set-back (numerous chamberings) and also to keep my skills sharp with my carry nuggets. I can't tell you the last time I had to change a spring in a carry mag.
My 16 competition mags spend most of their time loaded. I do this for fast get aways to the range before work and so I don't have to sit around the safe table (rather like a ladies club quilting bee) at matches and load-up there. No ill effects.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Loaded 1911, with full mag nearby. A revolver is also handy.

Mag springs are not my worry. My range mags get the Tripp Research kit when they weaken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

This is great news! Thanks for all your help, everyone! I prefer to keep all my mags loaded and ready if called upon...

Now if I could just find the Yost 1* that they belong to...I would be set! :dancingbananna:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.