1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting and enjoying my RIA Tactical 45 lately. It's accurate and fun to shoot, but I feel like the ambi thumb safety is a bit too easy to "take off". Is there a straightforward way to stiffen the action of the thumb safety on these pistols? I like the idea of "cocked and locked", but this one seems a bit to easy to "unlock".

SteveM.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
You can Replace the Spring or else Dimple the Safety Detent

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you finding it too easy to drop it when shooting, or is it already off coming out of the holster? I had a problem of the safety coming off in my IWB holster - put a small felt pad on the inside and it hasn't happened since...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not much of a Ambi Safety fan, so I replaced the one on my RIA Tactical with a regular sfety. I just don't have a need for it myself.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Try a wolff spring, those are pretty strong.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Holsters do make a diff the better made leather holster will have the Safety molded into the leather to help hold it .. it does make a difference ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just more of a "feel" issue.

It's just that the "feel" of the safety coming off is a bit too easy for my liking. It seems too easy to drop when shooting. I'd like to have a more positive engagement. I'll look into the Wolff springs.

SteveM.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
The wolff's are definitely worth a try, they have given every one I have put them in a more positive "click".

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Ambi-safety too week " on RIA Tac

Gents,

Easiest way to solve the feel of the ambi safety on your guns is by pulling the plunger spring apart a little bit. The spring between the slide release and the thumb safety. I do it all the time with my 1911s. By pulling the spring apart you're allowing some pressure between the slide release and the thumb safety. Pull apart a little at a time until you get the desired feel. It works and I do it all the time with all my 1911's. No need to buy or change the spring. Save your little dinero for bullets.

Best regards,
1911NIZER

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would have to agree with Jerry. Go with the tougher wolff spring. Just pulling the spring apart is only a temporary fix, and over a short time it will actually become weaker so then you would HAVE TO buy a new spring. Besides, those springs aren't expensive anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're absolutely right! I pulled all my springs to all my 1911's and I do shoot alot, more than average. For the span of over 15 years ( Colt, Caspian, SA, Kimber, RIA ) and they all worked fine without any signs of weakness on the stock springs. Just my opinion/experience and I will continue to do so with future 1911s. Whatever you folks do, happy shooting!!!!!!!!

1911NIZER

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.