1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is not a lot of current treads here about STI's. Why not? It is one of the best 1911's availible today. Maybe it is because no one has any issues or they are way above the rest of the manufacturers I dont know. Thier wide bodies are great guns too. To bad the mags suck. They have great looking guns. I know a lot of us own them because they cant keep up with production demands. Lets start posting and shareing some pics of one of the best guns on the market today. I will start with my Trojan Longslide .38 super.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Not all that surprising,STI doesn't have the pull that the bigger companies like Colt,Kimber,or SA have...but the other forums don't have many STI threads either.

STI is not a name that is well known outside of the shooting world either. I have friends who may know what Kimber or Para or even Wilson Combat is,but they wouldn't have heard of STI.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it. Next on my list is a Rangemaster

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
They are a Texas Company & a good reputation down here. I have held a few & missed one for sale but never shot one. I like what I see.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are a great gun. I have owned two and still own one today. Both were Trojans and both shot super. I had a 5" in .45 but traded it for a Browning Superpossed and I still have my longslide in .38 super.

·
Registered
692 Posts
STI is a VERY popular gun for USPSA. They dominate the Limited division.

Had a Trojan a while back but it wouldn't cycle reliably. We finally figured out that it was hard chromed after the builder fit the parts. I had it corrected and shot it for a year or so, then let it go to a friend. I may get an Executive if and when I sell my Single Stack gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a trojan that I hated when I first got it but have grown to love it over the last thousand rounds or so.

Mine also came with a Novak mag and it runs great.

I just wish they would come out with a single stack and called it something like the "gamer"

Fiber optic sight, ambi safety, 2.5lb trigger, angled rear sight, and a fitted magwell, and get rid of the dang full length guide rod!

I got a good deal on mine and got it for 800 out the door brand new...I really cant complain. Its got about 2000 rounds in it now and I really need to pull it apart and clean in it!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had a .45acp Trojan that was beautiful and accurate, but never reliable. I think it may have been the same problem as posted above "fit before the hard chroming." I had the frame hard chromed. I sent it back to STI twice, and it still never ran right. I will say that STI had excellent customer service. I think that what others have said above about brand recognition is true. Alot of the employees at 3 different local gunshops did not know what an STI was when I had it.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also had an STI Trojan in .45. It was blued and it never fail to go bang and was super accurate. That is why I bought another one, MK

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I've owned several STI's. My two favorites were the STI Edge in .40 that I used for IPSC shooting and then the STI Trojan 9mm that I got to play around with. I regret ever getting rid of the Trojan and WILL own another before long. The only STI I owned that I really didn't care for was the Spartan. I do not regret getting rid of it.

Zack Phillips
Shooters Plus

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I agree about the Sparton. STI does make a great product, Mirando

·
Forum Supporters
51 Posts
And then there are these---

Not exactly a carry gun, but both are absolutely reliable and super accurate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have their catelog - I really like a couple of models - and I'd probably buy a Ranger II next year - IF they sold the gun with 3 dot sights. Several of the guns that interest me do not come with fixed 3 dot sights unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think they will put whatever sights you want on them. They are very customer attentive, Mirando

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mirando,

I think that they are a bit less willing to change things and offer options on their pistols than they used to be. I think that I read it was due to high production numbers to keep up with demand or something. I'm sure that small options like ambi safeties and such are still doable, but I'm not so sure how much they are willing to change from their regular menu items any more. Now, I may be way wrong about this, but I think I did read a quote stating something quite similar from them.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah you are most likely correct. I have read about them getting rid of some great products to speed up lead times and the such. There is a guy down in Seirra Vista that is a STI distributor that will set up an STI anyway you want it so if you need something beyond regular production they are the way to go. You can, I think, get a better deal from him than the STI custom shop too. By the way, it was a great steel match last night. Wish you where there, Mirando

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have also wondered why STI does not get more publicity. I have always heard good things about their products and any of the models I have ever handled seem very well built.

My main reason for not owning one is that all the stores that I have been to that had them in stock wanted full retail. :rolleyes:

Maybe one day I will get one of their 5" guns in 40.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.