1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing how the STI widebodies are not much greater in grip circumference than single stack because of the polymer grips. Is this true? How do the doublestacks feel? I have small hands, but would be interested in the widebody if it wasn't much bigger and managable. The reason I have always had 1911s is because 1)they feel great, 2) for me, they point naturally (don't have to worry about my grip). I have never liked the feel of Glocks or Beretta 92 because of the previous two reasons. Appreciate any info.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have shot them and I like the way they feel. Still a little fatter then a single stack but not to bad at all. The problem with STI wide \bodies is that the mags suck. They are real fussy. My friend bought almost a $1000.00 in mags before he got some that worked reliably. You need to get them tuned or something but the guns a great, MK

·
Forum Supporters
51 Posts
Take a look at the Wilson Combat KZ-45....a little smaller than the STIs but still a 10 round double stack 45. I have both (STIs in 45 and 40), don't have large hands and use the STIs for competition shooting and do like them. Haven't decided what I want to do with the KZ-45.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an STI and an SV high cap 1911 and I have small hands. I actually like the way the high caps feel better in my hands than a normal 1911. They are not that much larger around, but they are a bit more round if that makes sense. You dont have the grips on the narrow frame, the grip is the frame.

I have no problem with short fingers getting a really nice grip on my high caps. As said, I actually think they feel better due to the shape and they actually point more naturally than a normal 1911 for me.

As for the mags, they are EXPENSIVE. SVI mags are generally considered to be better and more reliable, but they are almost twice the price of the STI units.

There is a big market for tuning the mags as well to make them work right. I have several STI mags in .40 that I use in my SV and they have been just fine. I also have several SVI mags that I use in my 9mm STI (thats backwards isnt it) and one STI mag in 9mm and they all work flawlessly. Some need tuned mags some dont.

I'd say just be prepared for the mag cost before you buy. You can try normal STI mags and see if they work for you then have them tuned if needed. Or you can go with the SV mags and hope they work for the extra money, or just buy tuned from the start from someone like Brazos Custom or Dawson. You're looking around $60/ea for normal STI mags, about $100/ea for SV mags and about $150/ea for tuned mags.

But, even though everything about the high caps are expensive, I would buy more and probably not buy a normal 1911 again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.