1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone went with the STI Trojan in .40 for the single stack class in USPSA/IPSC? If so, what do you think? What kind of 25 yard accuracy are you getting? Thanks to all....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Got a question for the guys located in Ind. I heard there's a gun store in Plainfield, Ind. that keeps STI Trojans in stock! Anyone know if true ????
I really don't know... But that sounds like a good enough reason for me to visit Plainfield this week and find out for ya!:biggrin:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Got a question for the guys located in Ind. I heard there's a gun store in Plainfield, Ind. that keeps STI Trojans in stock! Anyone know if true ????
Well shoot-r, bad news. I went to the shop in Plainfield. Plainfield Shooting Supplies. Nice shop, not a heck of a lot of inventory, but a reasonable selection of wheel guns, autos, rifles, and shotguns. Some re-loading supplies, and clothing. No STIs. They said they have very little call for the brand, but they could prolly order one if I wanted.

I went to another store some 8-10 mi away in Camby. The name is Bradis Guns. Little better selection. Bragged about having the lowest prices on the area. No STIs. Same thing. Little call for the brand, but they could order one.

So, I don't know where you heard your info, but it's not accurate.

Why don't ya call Dawson? Dave will build what you want and his prices are as good as anybody elses. Plus, he was on the design team for the EDGE. So he's the guy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up an older Trojan .40 and an older .38Super. Both had feeding issues that required that the feeding ramp be rebuilt. (Probably why I got them on the cheap.) My 9mm ran like a champ from day one with Metalform Springfield magazines.

I have been shooting the T40 in L10/SSD for two years. It's accurate enough to shoot plates at 25 yards.

If I were to buy another T40, I would seriously look at Brazos with his dependability package.

All that being said, I have a T40-like being built by Fusion Firearms right now. You can't beat the bottom line on the Model 5906 with all the trimmings...$1095 shipped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank-you Trader for checking out the Plainfield store. The wife and I was at Gander Mt. in Terre Haute awhile back, their gunsmith told me the store in Plainfield carried STI's....I guess having a stocking STI dealer fairly close would make things to easy....can't have that!!!!!
Quiet, Let us know when the Fusion built firearm arrives.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have had a TJ in .40 since '02. While it did go back to the factory once for feeding issues, it was the slide that was milled to correct same. STI's mag release holds the mags higher in the gun so some don't work as well as others. {Check Virgil Tripp's mag page for info} At the time, STI did not have their own mags for the guns but Metalforms have worked fine without much tweaking.
Mine has been superbly accurate right from the start, even with own "Generic" hand-loads using TG & Berry's Plated bullets. IMO, their frame fits the hand like no other single stack & feels "perfect" to me.
What I don't like is the poly MSH, but that's easy enough to change out for little money plus intended to put-on a S&A mag-well anyway.

It's a great pistol for the street price of about $925.00.

Got mine from Dawson but would go with Brazo's now as they d/n do the best job of putting the Brown ambi on and delivered with wrong width F/OP front sight also ordered.

·
Registered
747 Posts
A little late but...

Hey there all. I realize that no one has posted on this thread for a while, but I have some experience with a trojan. Mine was a .45acp that I ordered with a bunch of options. The gun was absolutely beautiful (I had the frame and controls hard chromed), but it had feeding issues. I sent it back to STI and they did some work on it and promptly sent it back. While the feeding issues were a bit less, they were still pretty common. Since I bought this gun to add to my carry options, this unreliability was a big issue to me. I sent it back again and STI did more work on it, this time adding a heavier recoil spring and upgrading the extractor. They sent it back to me, and again, the problems were less but still there. After over 1000 rnds I was still having FTFs about every other magazine full (with both mags I might add, one the supplied and one a wilson combat mag). I decided to sell the gun. I miss it as it was beautiful, and I shot well with it, but it never worked right. I would also like to add that STI's customer service was GREAT. Those guys were very nice, very fast, and willing to pick up all shipping costs. I think the problem with some Trojans feeding issues may be due to the one piece ramped barrels. I read from Hilton Yam (who's opinion I deeply respect) that 1911s with ramped barrels often seem to have feeding issues. After my experience, I believe it. However, if you look at an installed ramped barrel and a regular unramped 1911 barrel installed, it looks like there would be alot more feeding issues in the unramped barrel. Go figure.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts