1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do you like better? I shot some Hornady reduced recoil loads (9 pellets of 00-buck, not sure about velocity) last night and liked how the groups stayed together (most staying in a 2 inch group with a few flyers a couple of inches off) and the recoil was, well, way reduced :). On the other hand, the standard 00-buck spread out evenly in a ~ 10 inch circle from about 10 yards out.

So, if you use 00-buck for HD, what's your favorite load?

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
While I have to admit that I use 000 buck instead of 00 buck I still prefer the standard load.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess my question has less to do with the discomfort of recoil and more to do with controllability, the ability to make quick follow up shots. Do you really need the full power 00-buck to be effective? Will reduced load have adequate stopping power while improving your ability to control the gun?

Personally, I don't dwell to the wee hours of the morning picking out a load. I buy whatever they have on the shelf at Dicks. The cheaper the better. (My 1911 is loaded with ball ammo - because I know it works in my gun, it's what I happened to have at home and for NJ liability reasons). I did find the reduced 00-buck load to be a lot easier to shoot.

thanks all.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I thought it was all sales hype at the beginning, after putting a few boxes thru my 870P, I was impressed with the quickness of my follow-up shots.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I believe recoil is a condition that can be somewhat controlled by the shooter. The strength of the loads are certainly one way to control recoil, and downloading has been somewhat effective at the cost of velocity and energy. But isn't it generally understood that recoil is best conrolled by the grip we have on the hand gun, the correct mounting of the long guns, and our stance?

I've witnessed several shooters improve immediately just by changing their grip/mount to a more positive, aggressive hold that dramatically reduces recoil. I know the aggressive grip/mount approach has worked for me since I first tried it several years ago.
My only complaint is that now, I'm getting too damn old to move as fast as I want to!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts