1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one of these in 45acp? I am looking for feedback on this gun. Would like to know how it functions, shoots, reliability, etc. Any feedback is appreciated as I am considering buying one for carry.:wavey:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Don't own one but they seem to be highly re-guarded Springers are usually good pistols

·
Registered
6 Posts
got one and its been 100% from the get go. i even sent it back to springer and got the front strap checkered and got it bobbed also. its my poor man ed brown

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the LOADED CHAMPION and love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked one up about 6 weeks ago. The gun is very tight, and very accurate!
I wanted an all-steel SS gun, and it fit the bill extremely well. I had a slight problem feeding HP ammo at first, but after careful polishing of the feedramp, and several hindred rounds, it has been perfect.

It is my daily carry gun!

Jamie

·
Registered
4 Posts
I "had" one

I owned one of these for 2 weeks. Put 300 rounds through it and had to send it back for fitting. It had some major issues. While it was running, it produced nice holes that were really pretty close together. The folks at SA have a great warranty and are taking great care of me. I should have it back this week. I wholly expect that it will be a great gun. I'm not having any luck with 1911's this year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend asked me to help figure out what was wrong with his SA SS Champion... it jammed, would not feed the last round, and was impossible to slingshot from slide lock. He has owned it since it was new, and has never done anything to it. I shot it, replaced the recoil spring, then today I took it to a fellow who knows about these things...

Turns out the recoil spring was binding. The original spring, and the recent replacement from Wolff, both have a curve in them from kinking. Shooting it a little has put a slight bend in the barrel bushing legs. I've been told the slide may crack as a result.

Bad ju-ju!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My ss champion is the finest pistol I have ever owned outside of my S&W model 19. My brother in law is a knowledgeable person and he said to load it up with Mobil 1 15-50w and shoot WWB. I did as he suggested and after 500rds it runs like a sewing machine. I can not say enough about this excellent firearm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a SS Loaded Champion, great carry gun. I have given it my upgrade of Ed Brown Premium hammer & internal parts, Dilask trigger, S/A Magwell, Novak F/O sights, EGW single spring FLGR, and custom contoured grips. I carry it everyday and shoot it in IDPA. Not a single hiccup against the gun. Magazines are another story.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I almost bought one a few weeks ago. But the machining on the frame and overall fitment was poor, to say the least. It was a "N" frame gun. Loaded SS.
I have a Champion Operator that has been flawless and is a tack driver. It's lighter than the SS. I personally would prefer to carry my EMP .40 over that gun.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Old thread but OK.

Mine ran great from day one. Never a bobble.
My EDC. One of the few I have that is not for sale or trade at any price.
They are hard to find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just picked up a older ss one. I'm in the process (waiting for Brownells deliv) of completing a bobtail, cut dovetails for Novaks and hopefully squeek buy with a Smith & Alexander .220 beavertail. Somebody already install an Ed Brown .250 on it and it looks pretty ****ty.Hopefully there is enough material left on the tangs to re-cut them. I also think the barrel bushing is wrong. I was really loose and didnt fit the reverse plug right. I called SA and they where sending me a new hard chrome one and a recaoil spring. Can't wait to get it done and shoot it!

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I will add this to my above. I also have a Kimber Pro CDP that would sell for probably $500.00 more than my Springer. It starts to get a little finiky w/ reloads after a hard 1/2 day of shooting. Say 600 rds of constant plate rack contest or a morning w/ a Texas Star. Quick clean it & it will go another.600 or so.

My Springer will shoot ALL day. Me & friend at a plate rack. This day I know I shot 850 rds of reloads & never a bobble. Cant really see the gun but that was a fun day. I are the one w/ the spenders.

I own a Kimber. If I knew I was headed for a battle I would go w/ M1A, Moss 590, & my Springer as my side arm. As stated above, this is one of the few I own that just flat aint for sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts