1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my SA 1911 Loaded to the range and had some issues with FTF, it occurred with the first round of the mag, where the slide went half-way into battery. It seemed like the round just popped loose out of the mag just about the time slide was going into battery.

I was using Blazer Brass 45 230gr target ammo.

I was using the 7rd Springfield mag and some 8rd McCormick mags. I was not paying attention to which mags had the issue. I'll be more attentive on my next trip to see if it is related to a specific mag.

Any pointers would be helpful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Qman, I'll be watching to see what others have to say. I also have a SA Loaded with a similar issue.

The first time out (100 or so rounds) went perfect = no issues. This was using the 2 SS mags that came with the gun.

The next time out I used 2 new mags I ordered from SA off the Loaded coupon. They were 7 round non-SS. One of these mags gave me a problem with the first round (like yours) almost every time.

Unless someone can give me some advice on how to "fix" the mag , it is going back to SA.

I am confident that my issue is a faulty magazine. Hopefully yours is too.
Sorry I'm not more helpful. Hopefully someone who is will be along shortly.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Check the mags it sound likes a mag prob to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paid close attention to which mags I was using at the range

Cruiser, don't worry about hijacking my thread, I'm just looking for more information and insight.

I went to the range today and had 4 mags (2 7-round SA, 2 8-round McCormick PowerMags) and shot 100 rounds of WWB 45 230gr. No problems this time. All mags worked great. Maybe, I just need to get through the break in period. I have 250 rounds through my SA Loaded SS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cruiser, don't worry about hijacking my thread, I'm just looking for more information and insight.

I went to the range today and had 4 mags (2 7-round SA, 2 8-round McCormick PowerMags) and shot 100 rounds of WWB 45 230gr. No problems this time. All mags worked great. Maybe, I just need to get through the break in period. I have 250 rounds through my SA Loaded SS.
Great! That is good news.

Although I haven't received any responses to my problem here, I have had several people tell me that 1911's need about 500+ rounds to be broken in properly :confused:.

I plan to shoot another 300 or so FMJ and then try the HST hollow points again. I'm hoping everything will work perfectly after I break it in better :biglaugh:.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I hope so too. I have never bought a new hand gun so have never had to deal w/ that problem.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The 500 round break in is BS on a production gun its a don't bother to call us untill you have wasted a good amount of money so maybe it will go away..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a SA SS Loaded Blacken Combat. Had FTF even after the first 500 rds. Called SA and returned it. They polished the feedramp, breechface and tuned the extractor. Runs like a champ now. SA pays shipping bothways. I also use Wilson 47d mags. Just can't beat SA CS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a SA SS Loaded Blacken Combat. Had FTF even after the first 500 rds. Called SA and returned it. They polished the feedramp, breechface and tuned the extractor. Runs like a champ now. SA pays shipping bothways. I also use Wilson 47d mags. Just can't beat SA CS.
I may be returning my SA SS Loaded soon. It shoots FMJ no problem, but FTF the last round on HST hollow points.

How did you go about getting it fixed? Did they have you send in the mags as well, to help diagnose the problem? How long did it take?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crusier,
I sent it back in the original case with the magazines. Shipped it UPS overnite. Call SA first and explain your problem and they will give you a RA # to put on the outside of the box. They'll go over it and find out what the problem is and test fire it after it's corrected. It took 3-4 weeks round trip. Like I said before, they do good work and will reimburse shipping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Crusier,
I sent it back in the original case with the magazines. Shipped it UPS overnite. Call SA first and explain your problem and they will give you a RA # to put on the outside of the box. They'll go over it and find out what the problem is and test fire it after it's corrected. It took 3-4 weeks round trip. Like I said before, they do good work and will reimburse shipping.
Thanks Bosbar. I am going to try one more trip to the range to try some suggestions I have recieved. After that, I will be contacting SA. I look forward to having it in perfect working order :biglaugh:.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a problem with one of my original SS mags that can with my Loaded Champion. When I examined it I found that the front lip was bent slightly. After straightening it, it has work perfectly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My loaded was "extremely" tight when I got it...

To get it to realiably feed.. I had to load 5 rounds per magazine for some reason until after I had about 100 rounds through the gun... now it feeds and fires every magazine I put in it now, 7 or 8 round, and it doesn't matter what make... Once the magazines have cycled a few times and the gun as well... I think you'll find it fires just fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I helped teach a Missouri CCW class this morning. One of the students, a Vietnam vet, had a brand new Springfield 1911 GI(? it had the GI grip safety/tang but a slightly extended thumb safety.) He had just purchased it yesterday and said he'd spent last night cleaning it, removing shipping preservative. That pistol jammed each and every shot, all 50 that were fired this morning.

At first, it was three-point jams and double-feeds where one round fed in front of the extractor, failed to returned to battery, and then fed a second on top of the first when he tried to rack the slide. I suggested he try a different brand mag if he had any. He did, a Chip McCormick 8rd Power mag. The next thirty-five rounds fed without a hitch but were essentially fired single shot because the gun simply refused to return to battery. The slide would stop about 1/16" short of battery and have to be manually shoved that last distance.

Granted, it was dry but I've never before seen a 1911 that wouldn't at least function some of the time that way. I suggested he buy a Wolff 18lb. recoil spring and oil it well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts