1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of you that have made modifications to your sigs, I have a few questions. First of all, if I wanted to change out the mainspring housing, could I "drop in" an Ed brown mainspring housing or would I have to have it fitted? Also for changing the sites, do you know what cut the frame has? I have been looking at Brownells for night sites and don't know which to get. Finally, for Pistolero. How hard was it to bobtail your sig? I have been researching gunsmith prices and have seen anything from $80 for Labor only, to $200 unknown if that includes the new msh. Thank you in advance. Jared

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Jared,

The spec's on the sigs are the same as pretty much any 1911's (maybe a little tighter than most) but msh's, etc. drop in. You should be able to drop in an ed brown msh if it's not the bobtail one. Of course the bobtail ones do not jsut drop in, but they fit the same as with any 1911. I don't think they are hard to bobtail at all.

The sights in mine are actual novak night sights so they are the novak cut. I'm guessing you have an xo if it does not have night sights?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct, I have an XO that I want to put night sites on, and I have a target that the front site is dim and wanted to replace. So for the xo, would it be a Novak cut and I would be able to order a set of sights with that designation. Jared

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
You might want to contact Sig to get the exact specs. If your front nite site is dim andit's less than the 10 yr (?) warrnaty, if they don't replace it you might get a discount on the new one. Tracy

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'm with tracy on both of those. I know mine are real novaks but I don't know if they have changed anything so the best bet would be to contact them to make sure. I would also ask about a warranty on the dim one, sometimes the gun manufacturers defer to the sight makers like trijicon for warranty on those but I would definitely check on them I would think they would still be under warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The XO uses Champion contrast (i.e., 3-dot) sights in a Novak cut. Some of the sights have convex dots, some have concave dots. The giveway as to their origin is 1)their side grasping grooves, 2)their patent number on their top, and 3)the straight, as opposed to curved inner cut beneath the dots on the rear sight.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since most new 1911's come with a flatm.s.h. these days, I change them out to an arched housing first chance I get.

they do 'drop in', but occasionally, the 'rails' on either side of the m.s.h. need a gentle touch up with a file, to smooth out burrs, etc. ..... the area I am mentioning on the m.s.h. is not visible when it is installed.

I also take advantage of having the m.s.h. out of the gun to install a titanium plunger on the top of the main spring... a $10 improvement on the 'lock time' .... {time between the trigger pull and the 'bang'}......all those parts must be broken down anyway, so it costs me no extra time

re bob'd m.s.h. --

you will need

the new m.s.h.,

a new main spring {bobbed version uses an Officer's model main spring}

new grip panels

some guys have done nice work on that conversion.... I do not trust myself to not make a mess of things....

if you tackle it yourself, Ed Brown sells a 'jig' for the conversion

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts