1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just received a new Blade Tech holster for my Sig P220 Combat TB. I ordered the Blade Tech because it is the only holster that I could find for this particular gun. I had no previous experience with kydex or plastic holsters, and frankly wanted a leather IWB type holster. However, as I stated above, this was the only factory holster I could find for this gun, and I can not pay for a custom leather holster at this time. The few holster makers that I contacted about making me a leather IWB holster for this gun either said that they wouldn't, or never returned my emails. So I ordered the Blade Tech.

I got the Blade Tech today in the mail, and immediately started fitting it to the Sig. Unfortunately, after a few presentations from this holster, I now have some long ugly scratches down the slide of my $1100 Sig. This does not make me happy at all. I have heard that kydex holsters are hard on finishes, but we are not talking holster wear here, I'm talking about scratches that happened instantly. I think they are due to some small screws sticking out a bit into the holster.

Anyway, Has anyone else had an experience like this. Do you guys think that I should send the holster back and try to save up some money for a leather one? I'm not trying to bash Blade Tech or anything, I have read only positive things about their products, but I'm definitely not happy about the 3" long or so scratches down the slide of my not so cheap gun (that arent even from honest use). Does anyone have any advice?

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I don't use kydex or "crossbreed" holsters at all, don't like them. Then again I carry totally iwb and prefer leather. They are definitely rough on pistols, which would not bother for owb a duty gun. You can either keep it and know it will be rough on the gun or till you save up for a custom look at don hume, galco, bianchi, or the other pre made leather places that are cheaper than custom places.

It looks like you will probably have problems with the makers I named. You could always get a don hume for a regular full size p220, get some boot stretch spray from walmart, put the pistol in the holster (inside a very thin plastic bag loke for veggies) and in a couple of hours it would be dry and fit perfect...............except fit the half inch or so barrel sticking out the bottom. Really not enough to bother temporarily. I carry a 5" 1911 in a commander holster sometimes. A custom will probably take 6 months or so depending on who does it.

Oh, I have used that spray on holsters several times and you can't tell it was sprayed with anything.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I'm with Jerry...no plastic holsters here....leather IWB is where its at.

I understand not being able to get a custom though.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
I must have a Holster fetish I have about 20 holsters for 220's and 1911's but use only two both Leather The Galco Royal Guard, and a custom Leather one for my Sig with the Marine Corps emblem and my name on it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah, I contacted Galco because I'm happy with their other products that I own, but they said they would not make one for me. I tried Milt Sparks, but no one ever got back to me.

Jerry, I like the suggestion about trying to stretch a P220 holster, but it won't work because the sights on this threaded barrel model are so much taller. If they werent, the gun would fit well in my Galco Summer Comfort made for a H&K USPc. That holster works really well for a number of my guns, but the sight channel is too short for the P220 Combat.

I believe that the scratches were caused by the screws that hold the belt clip onto the actual holster. I backed the screws out a bit, and it seems to be fine now. However, the damage is already done.

I did start to like the holster a bit more last night, I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep it, or send it back.

I guess that I can just not baby the gun now, and when the finish gets worse, send the slide in for a refinish.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Galco is off the rack, they won't hake them to order.

I saw that model has tall sights, just thought it might stretch out as it will stretch quite a bit. I have stretched out a 1911 holster for a p220. The problem is you would need something on top running the length of the front and rear sights to mahe the channel.

It will be tough to find a maker with a "blue gun" as a pattern to make a custom holster. In fact I would be suprised if the make a blue gun like it. If you can find one fairly close to where you live you might be able to take the pistol there for a day or two to use as a pattern when he actually gets ready to make it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jerry. I emailed Sig about the issue, and asked them if they know of any other holsters available for this gun. On their website, I noticed that their pics of the p220 combat TB doesn't have the tall sights anymore. Maybe if and when I send the gun in for a refinish, I'll have them put the lower sights on. I won't be using a suppressor anytime soon, and I could keep the tall sights in case I do ever get one. That would solve a lot of holster issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.