1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Smith & Wesson M&P 15...

5K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  Bud White 
#1 ·
I finally broke down and bought an AR...here it is...

See less See more
#3 ·
Cool! I'm looking too. I'll be talking to Black Rifle Works at the local gunshow in Feb. I plan on having mine by summer. Tracy

#4 ·
Nice i have been thinking about a flattop model
You may know this... but I THINK this is a flattop (or can be) the carry handle comes of and theres a mounting rail under there.
I'm new at these AR's myself...I owned a Colt HBAR very briefly several years ago.
I am amazed at the accuracy of this rifle...it is SOOOO easy to shoot accurately...even offhand.

Me and my son put 800 rounds through it today....popped a few crows at 300 yards too. It ran like a champ...I kept the bolt lubed about every 100 rounds or so.

#6 ·
You may know this... but I THINK this is a flattop (or can be) the carry handle comes of and theres a mounting rail under there.
I'm new at these AR's myself...I owned a Colt HBAR very briefly several years ago.
I am amazed at the accuracy of this rifle...it is SOOOO easy to shoot accurately...even offhand.

Me and my son put 800 rounds through it today....popped a few crows at 300 yards too. It ran like a champ...I kept the bolt lubed about every 100 rounds or so.
thats a flat top them one i was looking at i didnt know they came with the carry handle

#7 ·
Better get one now before Hillary gets into office!!!!:eek::bawling:

Of course let us all hope that that nightmare never happens!!!
I hope she don't get into office....but thats the reason I bought mine...gettin it while I still can.

#9 ·
Well, the gun is a very nice piece. I have been using mine to vent frustrations and kill coyotes for about a month now and I love it. I have it setup with a BUIS that I got second hand and I am trying to convince myself I need a holosight of some kind. Mine has been completely trouble free and very accurate.

#10 ·
I'm having a brain lock----------------what's a BUIS? Thanks, Tracy

#12 ·
That's it, Thanks. Don't have an AR yet, but one is in the works soon. Like I said in #3.

Ridge- that 800 rds, was it factory or your loads? And if it was yours, what's your recipe? I plan to start getting my supplies I.E.- dies, powder, primers, bullets, brass at the gunshow in a couple of weeks to get me started. I'll pick up a 100 factory just to have as a comparison. Thanks, Tracy

#14 ·
Ridge- that 800 rds, was it factory or your loads? And if it was yours, what's your recipe?
They were factory Remington UMC and Ultramax (400 rounds of each)...I dont have a recipe yet but I'm working on one...I have the dies ordered.

FWIW...both of those chrono'd an average of 2700 fps...I thought that was pretty good for cheap ammo out of a 16 inch barrel.

#15 ·
Since I'm learning and researching a lot of things about the AR, one of my concerns is part that gets "carboned up" and gets dirty and causes malfunctions. (don't remember what it's called). Anyway, I'm looking at the cleanest powder to shoot. Since my use will be for plinking and paper punching waaaaaay less that 100-200 yds, max velocity and power aren't at the top of the list. My loads just need to be clean and make the gun work. Tracy

#16 ·
I'm learning too...I remember reading something about a part getting carbon build up....I don't remember what it was either.
I plan on using mine for coyotes and maybe deer if it proves to be accurate enough on the coyotes, and I think it will be.
I just made sure the bolt stayed lubed yesterday...I used Mobil 1, it seems to work good...I didn't notice any wear at all, and I looked VERY close. No shiny spots inside on the aluminum...steel sliding back and forth in aluminum 800 times (with some of them at high RPM), and it didn't even wear the finish off the aluminum.

#17 ·
The Bolt can carbon up as can the gas tube.. i have 10k though my bushmaster and at least 7/8ths are with h-335 no carbon problems yet

#18 ·
I'm learning too...I remember reading something about a part getting carbon build up....I don't remember what it was either.
I plan on using mine for coyotes and maybe deer if it proves to be accurate enough on the coyotes, and I think it will be.
I just made sure the bolt stayed lubed yesterday...I used Mobil 1, it seems to work good...I didn't notice any wear at all, and I looked VERY close. No shiny spots inside on the aluminum...steel sliding back and forth in aluminum 800 times (with some of them at high RPM), and it didn't even wear the finish off the aluminum.
Are you guys referring to steel cased ammo that varnishes the chamber as it heats up?

#20 ·
If thats it...I'll never have to worry about it...I don't shoot Wolf ammo (steel cases) in any gun I own.

#21 ·
yep with wolf you can get the chamber hot enough to melt the lacquer to the chamber and its a bear to clean.. the new stuff is supposed to be fine course that the brass cased stuff

#24 ·
Looks good, Ridge.

Thank You...I already want another one:thinking:

I'm thinking a NM this time...I do still have some money left and I can hear the RRA NM calling my name:plugears:

#25 ·
I can hear the RRA NM calling my name:plugears:
Well, buy it from a distributor that already has it in stock...

My dealer ordered from RRA in February 07, and he called em again last week, and let them have it because my lower and upper, his upper, and another upper he ordered still haven't come in. They said the uppers would be out in 30 days max. but the lowers were still 6 months out. He cancelled the lowers, and ordered them from Bushmaster. So as it stands, mine is now gonna be a Bushy lower, with a RRA upper.

#26 ·
Thats my problem....The range I go to just happens to have a nice selection of AR's and he has one in stock. I think I need the number for gunaholics anonymous....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.