1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, this is a petty complaint. The cocking serrations on the SIS drive me a bit crazy, but not for the reasons that I have read from others. Like many other people on the internet, I'm undecided about the look of the cocking serrations (the fact that they say SIS). Also, I can tell by looking at them that they are hard to get a good grip on (especially with that slippery finish). My big (yet petty) complaint is the fact that the cocking serrations are angled opposite ways on the two sides of the gun. That looks ridiculous to me. Has anyone else noticed this? Why did they do such a thing? Maybe It's my OCD kicking in, but WTH? I must say though, that it is nice to see Kimber making a few models w/o the series II safety.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I'll have to take a look at one to see if its as you describe it if so that would be stupid looking.. I pay usually about ZERO attn to kimbers .. SO i cant say i have Really looked at the SIS but i will now since you mention this

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Pat,

Since you're the only one I know that has a "SIS" Kimber, update the pics and turn one around so I can see how the "SIS" cocking serrations run indiff directions. Thanks, Tracy

Oh, by the way, I did handle one at the Gander Mtn. And everone was right in my opinion, The serrations are super slippery.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Pat,
The pictures of yours don't look as though the letters (SIS) are slanted much. Maybe they changed the design a bit. All of the pictures that I have seen in magazines, and online have had more rake to their slide serrations. How do you like the model?

AZ,
I was also thinking of something like the "golf ball" treatment. I think something similar would make things better.

Bud,
If you want a good example of what I'm talking about, I believe that the May/June American Handgunner has a bunch of SIS pics. Also I think it was last month's Guns and Ammo had an article and pics.

Allright guys, here is a link to an ended auction for an SIS. It shows both sides. Notice the slant of the "I" pretty much follows the angle of the grip on the right side, but is angled the opposite direction on the left side. I don't know, it just bothers me.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...30&prev=/images?q=kimber+sis+&um=1&hl=en&sa=G

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it seems that if they wanted to have the serrations spell out "SIS" they should have done them more straight up and down and not slanted if they can't match the angle on both sides.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
All I know is I carry a Kimber & like mine. I DO NOT WANT AN sis.:hairpull:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Having just bought an SIS a couple of weeks ago and taking to the range for the first time this weekend, I can say that those aspects of the design that people are concerned about from a functionality standpoint were not an issue for me during the operation of the gun. The slickness of the gun was not an issue, the cocking serrations were sufficient for what I needed.

I think that the SIS, perhaps more than any other recently released 1911, has polarized people based on aesthetics. I think you are either drawn to the unique design or are repelled by it. The fact that it has been featured in every gun magazine, and on the cover of most, has probably elevated the love/hate debate of the SIS more than if it had just been included with all the Kimber pistols in group ads.

I, for one, have been drawn to it and think that it is a great gun. It has a lot of nice features for a good price...and overall, it seems to hold up well to the increased scrutiny that it has received as a result of all the press its gotten.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
the Sis on the slide is pretty ugly i see what ya mean about the lean .. as they say Different strokes for different folks

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Substance,

Besides the above posted complaint, I actually like the SIS. Especially the railed version. I like that it doesn't have the series II safety. I like the finish, the solid trigger, lightened hammer, checkering, carry bevel, etc. I also think that it is a reasonably priced gun at right around $1000 dollars. I am generally not a big Kimber fan, though I must admit it is an unfair opinion as I have actually never owned or had trigger time with one. My opinion is based solely on stuff that I have read on the always fair and unbiased internet :wink:. That being said, If the SIS proves to be reliable, I would consider adding one to my safe at some point. I think that alot of people probably feel like Kimber finally made a gun that has the features that they want, but packaged it in controversial styling.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Donkey,
Sounds like we are of like minds when it comes to the lack of series II safety and the addition of all the extras on the SIS. As you said, I think a lot of people are happy to see an option like that from Kimber and I really believe that the functionality of the SIS is solid.

Now, unlike some other SIS owners, I totally understand why the gun doesn't appeal to everyone and how the cosmetic components could be sufficient enough to turn some people off to it completely. That is why I hope Kimber continues this momentum and offers more traditionally styled options with a similar setup to the SIS.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, I have only had time to put 100 round through it. I had one FTE at around round 20 and it was with an aftermarket mag, not the supplied kimber promag. the gun appears to group very consistently with minimal spread. I wondered if the sights might be slightly off to the left. I am posted a bad pic from a camera phone. The targets on the left are ones I shot with the Kimber SIS the ones on the right I shot with the Aegis II.

I bought a rest to take with me next time to see if the sights are a little off or not. It was at the end of the day after breaking in a new AR and I was a little worn out from all the rounds sent down range...so it may not be fair to say "the gun is off a little bit" when it may have been me. What I did notice was the consistent grouping when I had my act together.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/substance-p/Guns/SIS.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. New member here, and this topic touches on something I have been dealing with recently.

I recently purchased the SIS Ultra Compact (Happy Birthday to me!!!). Here are my impressions:

The good:

This pistol has a great feel. The checkered front strap is grippy enough, but it does not cut my had up after a session. It points so very naturally. I can bring it up and the sights are aligned perfectly at eye level. The KimPro Finish is tough and all dirt just wipes off. The sights are nice and big and bright. Not to be a firing pin safety elitist, but the series 1 issue means just one less mechanical hazard to deal with when Mr. Murphy joins you in that critical situation. I love the trigger. No creep, no wobble, just a nice clean break.

I think the grips just look cool and really do work well, but I may change them for something slimmer.

Last but not least, the accuracy is awesome. It shoots like a laser. Where I point the pistol, a hole magically appears in the same spot down range a fraction of a second later.

And I think it is an attractive looking pistol SIS cocking serrations and all.

Now the bad:

While I like the color and it does keep the pistol clean, the finish is very slippery, and I had a few instances when I could not grasp the slide adequately to rack it and get the pistol back in action.

The action is very tight and may be difficult to work manually when your tired and sweaty.

During the break in period, I have had several failures to return to battery even though I thoroughly lubed the pistol. (and no, I am not limp wristing). This was remedied by a tap to the back of the slide. I am sure if I ran it through the whole recommended break in period, it would be fine. With over 300 rounds down so far, I am debating this issue.

On two occasions, I had the supplied magazine pop one round off of the top and feed the next one down. (good springs?)

Most importantly, by policy I can not carry this pistol, and .45 is getting expensive for SD ammo (I have all of the 9mm Gold Dot and .40 Federal I need).

I am going to keep it for now and see if it improves after the break in period.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I am a Kimber carrier. Have been for 7yrs now.
I do not like the SIS appearance. I am sure it is the quality reliablility of Kimber in the 4-5" barrels. I know some have had issues w/ theirs. I confess I have never bought a new K. Have had 5. Bought a few from folks in a tight then later sold them or traded. I have never had a problem w/ any.
My present carry is a little ammo finniky w/ my reloads after it is dirty. 100rds or so.

Bottom line is I dont need a SIS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.