1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newer XSE Lwt Commander and want to add night sights, what can I use for sights? also what refinishing has to be done to the frame after a bobtail has been added, thinking about doing that.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
If you have a dan Wesson Bobtail it is stainless so you better be good at the polishing wheel after you remove about 3/4 '' of you pistol. If it is blue you will have to reblue the entire bottom to make it match. The first question OD answered.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Jerry I missed that post you did a good job. I have access to a bead blaster I have done some of my Wilson Mags that I use only for Matches to know they are mine. Good Move. It also can be stippled if you know how!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys now I need to figure out what height sight they put on this commander, they are closed now so I can't get ahold of Colt tonight. I have the alum. stainless version its not blued, so I may try to get the bobtail done, I just wasn't sure if there was a special agent you had to put on the frame after you cut into it. May have the work done by someone else.

Thanks again that sight address really helped now when I get the new sight I may feel better about carrying this thing

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Thanks Vic.

I bobtailed a colt lwt exe cdr and afterwards I sent it to mahovskys where he hard chromed it. He nickel plated the aluminum frame first then hard chromed it. It then becomes harder than stainless or carbon on the rockwell scale. It's a great way to do aluminum frames.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well called colt and they were no help, i asked and the guy just said no we can't give that info out, then the guy turned into an as$ when i said you can't tell me the height of the front sight or transfer me to someone who can like the tech shop. then he started coming up with everything and he told me to go contact the sight manufactuer

I may just sell the colt.

Had alot better dealings with Sig.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Call Brownells, it really ain't a big deal, they will help you.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
They all call their hard chrome different names, whether they are the same I don't know. I do know mahovsky does excellent work and is the cheapest. I had it done to a colt lwt xse I bobtailed and did a bunch of work to. I no longer have the gun though.
I put in an eb bobtail msh, eb gi guide rod, greider trigger, tj's shim, egw thick carry bevel businig and plug, eilson extended thumb safety and wilson drop in beavertail before I had it hard chromed. It was probably the best carry gun I have ever had and I sold it.

He also does the internals which toughens them up and you can polish them up slicker than snot.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I have cleaned off this thread and reopened for the op.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.